Fisher Honey Bear advice needed.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamaha_gurl

Aug 31, 2008
Ontairo
Hey all!

So I'm picking up a Honey Bear Fisher wood stove tomorrow, it comes with all of the piping for only $200. I'm thinking this is a great price for the SS alone. I know these are "smoke machines" but, with me being jobless right now I'd rather not spend much money on a newer EPA approved model. Either we install this bear, or go with a less expensive Drolet model (which is available at Canadain Tire here in Ontario, Canada). Does anyone have a manual for a Honey Bear model? Or any information about these? I've googled everything, search everywhere and can't find anything :( Please help!

A honey bear? I've heard of a momma bear, a baby bear, a papa bear, and I think it was a grandpa bear. Serious not a goldilocks joke,but I can't recall a "honey" bear. One door or 2? Blower?
Those old fishers were great stoves for the time. They'll make heat, lots of heat. In fact the biggest issue I've seen with them is they'll make cresote cause people will turn them too far down.
There is nothing wrong with starting with an old stove that you can afford.

The weight will be heavy, but can be reduced for transport by removing the doors and carefully taking out the firebrick. Bring a magic marker and number the bricks first so that you will know where they came from. It's probably best to ask the seller to measure it up and provide dimensions. Be sure it will fit before buying.

I have something similiar to a grandpa/papa bear stove which is the biggest fisher stove and it weighed enough to break a 3.5 foot wide 2x8 stair stringer instantly. As far as clearences just play it safe and stay 3 feet from combustibles. my stove sits about a foot from a concrete wall and it will get to 180 degrees when the stove is really cranking. so three feet from combustibles is definetly a good idea. I would say ur looking at about 400 pounds of stove....hard to tell from pictures

good luck...fishers throw heat like crazy butt eat wood to. I'm working on an add on for mine that will give it secondary burn capability.

Is that glass in the doors on that stove? The HearthWiki references Fisher stoves still made in New Zealand that have glass in the doors and brass trim. The stove may not be as old as we think. There's no reference to a honey bear in any of my old catalogs.

I'd guess the weight is around 300 lbs. The baby bear weighs 245 and the mama bear weighs 345. Your stove looks to fall between these two in size. And go with the 36" to combustibles rule.

Yamaha_gurl said:
Well, I first started off by asking on here what it was, and have been told it's a honey bear :

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/26632/

What I need to know is how much does it weight and also clearances, which I can't find anywhere.

Well, stove is home. I am soon going to be researching how to clean it up since it's so rusty. Would a palm sander do? Then some stove paint?

The tag on the stove says March of 82, so not too old I guess :p It has a shield on the back and states 17" to a combustable wall from the back. Now, it came with single wall stove pipe but I'd like to reduce clearance, so I'm thinking about going double, as well as purchasing a heat shield to reduce clearance even more. I found this one locally:

Good idea?

Attachments

• shield.jpg
    shield.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 1,762
Thats a VC vigilant in your pic?

In the last pic it's just the heat shield that I'm after, not the stove, I have already purchased the Fisher Honey Bear.

Status
Not open for further replies.