Fisher Honeybear insert. Should I buy it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BLG

Oct 1, 2021
Virginia
Been reading a lot about all things Fisher. I’ve been searching for a Honeybear insert for my 900 square-foot cabin. I found one but the label on the top is hard to read. I need it UL rated for obvious reasons. It’s located a few hours away from me. Here’s a couple photos. Any help greatly appreciated. Maybe the expert Coaley can help. Thanks everybody for your help in advance.

E01DABA1-9A83-45DD-8E80-442F4B9EB3E6.png 5EE4B253-F748-4B45-9372-C58DD3DA1B4B.png

Been reading a lot about all things Fisher. I’ve been searching for a Honeybear insert for my 900 square-foot cabin. I found one but the label on the top is hard to read. I need it UL rated for obvious reasons. It’s located a few hours away from me. Here’s a couple photos. Any help greatly appreciated. Maybe the expert Coaley can help. Thanks everybody for your help in advance.

View attachment 282538 View attachment 282539
It really depends upon the price and if the tag is still legible at all. If it is completely illegible the stove is no longer listed. Which makes it worth much less and may not work for you depending upon insurance and local requirements.

It is several hours away but I have been looking for a Honeybear insert for a while. Really wish I could see the tag better.

It is several hours away but I have been looking for a Honeybear insert for a while. Really wish I could see the tag better.
I wouldn't pay a premium just because it says Fisher on it. There are lots of other inserts from the time period that are just as good. But if the tag is intact that means allot

What would it be worth if you could make out the tag?
Up to $500 in my opinion but that will vary by the market really

Any other way to determine if it’s a fisher honey bear ? It sure looks like one compared to the photos I’ve seen.

Any other way to determine if it’s a fisher honey bear ? It sure looks like one compared to the photos I’ve seen.
I don't doubt that it is. Coaly can tell you for sure. But legally if the tag isn't legible it is no longer a listed stove

Coaly is the Fisher guru who can tell you anything and everything about that stove.

I just work on lots of stoves so I know the legality of it all. You do know you will need a full insulated stainless liner as well right?

Yes I was aware of that. I just have an affinity for the old fishers. Thanks so much for your help.
And that may mean the stove is worth more to you. Nothing wrong with that if it's what you want

Yes, that is the last Series IV style of the Honey Bear Insert made. Quite rare, most had the Series III style glass opening that was flat on top with just the corner angled at the handle.

The oversize air outlet on top and thin ash fender without trim stand out.

The blower assembly is worth at least $100 alone.

Any suggestions about what to do with that label? Looks like it might be a little bit readable but then again who knows. I guess I can take the risk and see what happens.

Here is an inside photo. Coaly, do you have access to a manual for this stove? I read another thread where some one might have had one to send to you?

29C2B871-96DB-4FEE-AE05-BD4A78475869.png

Yes, that is the last Series IV style of the Honey Bear Insert made. Quite rare, most had the Series III style glass opening that was flat on top with just the corner angled at the handle.

The oversize air outlet on top and thin ash fender without trim stand out.

The blower assembly is worth at least $100 alone.
Hi Coley, I know this is an old thread but I am searching for almost identical information on this Honeybear. In this thread the picture shows the blower on the bottom facing out? Is that accurate that it pulls from the top and blows out the bottom? Instead of pushing air in the bottom and blowing out the top? Also do you know of any companies that carry blowers that will retrofit the stove? Any help is super appreciated.

Hi Coley, I know this is an old thread but I am searching for almost identical information on this Honeybear. In this thread the picture shows the blower on the bottom facing out? Is that accurate that it pulls from the top and blows out the bottom? Instead of pushing air in the bottom and blowing out the top? Also do you know of any companies that carry blowers that will retrofit the stove? Any help is super appreciated.
The blower pulls cooler air from floor level into front, pushes across bottom, up the back removing the hottest air from around the outlet vent pipe. Then forward out the top.

Woodman's parts plus has blowers for gas and wood fireplaces or Inserts that are the correct design. CFM is important, about 225. You'll have to mount blower in your own box and mount to Insert.

There were other styles of blowers used, and I posted the duct dimensions in post #14 here;
That thread pictures all the different blowers that were available.