Fisher insert clearances.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dan57

Nov 8, 2020
I have removed a Menards fireplace insert and am replacing it with a fisher insert (pre UL). The insert will be going into a exterior wall with 4'wx 18" deep insulated and sheet rocked chase to the roof approx. 10'ft. in height. I am using insulated stainless chimney with proper spacing from wall. Knowing these slammers have an air box around the back half how would I calculate side and rear clearances on this for combustibles? I had planned to put cement board on inside of chase but maybe steel is better. Also it seems that the UL listed inserts require 33" to combustibles from insert top to include framing members. (per owners manual) . Will a heat shield work for the 2x6 framing that is 18" above insert top? Or reframe opening in metal studs. I have the factory blower with this insert and will be using that to move heat around insert. Thank you gentleman in advance for your direction.

20211021_094759.jpg 20211021_095000.jpg

I have removed a Menards fireplace insert and am replacing it with a fisher insert (pre UL). The insert will be going into a exterior wall with 4'wx 18" deep insulated and sheet rocked chase to the roof approx. 10'ft. in height. I am using insulated stainless chimney with proper spacing from wall. Knowing these slammers have an air box around the back half how would I calculate side and rear clearances on this for combustibles? I had planned to put cement board on inside of chase but maybe steel is better. Also it seems that the UL listed inserts require 33" to combustibles from insert top to include framing members. (per owners manual) . Will a heat shield work for the 2x6 framing that is 18" above insert top? Or reframe opening in metal studs. I have the factory blower with this insert and will be using that to move heat around insert. Thank you gentleman in advance for your direction.

View attachment 283712 View attachment 283714
What you are talking about is unsafe and can't be done

An insert is meant to be put into a code compliant masonry fireplace not a framed chase. It would need 36" clearance in every direction and a 7' minimum ceiling I believe

yep, just doesn't qualify for the tax credit. We put in a new furnace and added central air last month so maybe we can get some money back from that.

yep, just doesn't qualify for the tax credit. We put in a new furnace and added central air last month so maybe we can get some money back from that.
I am pretty sure there are one or 2 zero clearance units that do quality. Ask in the main hearth forum