1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Fisher insert door gasket

Post in 'Fisher Stove Information, Parts, History and More' started by ash bucket, Dec 10, 2010.

1. ash bucket

ash bucket New Member

Loc:
    central KY
    What size is the gasket for the doors?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Captain Hornet

Captain Hornet Member

Loc:
    Upstate South Carolina
    Fisher stoves and inserts were designed and built for use without a gasket. That's right. The doors had a metal channel that fit the other channel on the stove. That said, we used a 3/8 inch gasket. We glued it in and shut the doors so it would set. Be carefull and don't bunch it and it'll fit just fine. Our gasket really calmed the stove down and enabled us to control the fire much better. If we want we can put the fire out by closing the air spinners. It was a good mod and we are happy with the results. David
  3. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    yep, finding a gasket on an old school fisher is like finding a fuel injector and air conditioning on a model-T. They just didn't come that way.

pen
  4. ash bucket

ash bucket New Member

Loc:
    central KY
    That's interesting. I inhereted this insert when I bought the house a couple yesrs back. There was a gasket in the channel when I moved in. The channel in the stove measures 3/4". That's why I was figuring that it was a 5/8" gasket...just a tad smaller. But I guess that would be too big when the doors closed and compressed the gasket. Maybe the doors wouldn't even close? Where in the world did you find a 3/8 gasket? I can only find 1/2 and 5/8. So even a 1/2 is too big?
  5. Captain Hornet

Captain Hornet Member

Loc:
    Upstate South Carolina
    OKAY, You're right, I messed up. I looked at my insert after your posting. I remember now that the gasket was a 5/8 inch but when I glued it in I pulled it out so that it was smaller in spots. 3/8 inch. I did not do that on the entire gasket because some of the places were tighter than others. You might have to pull it out to stretch it like I did. I know you well like the way the stove works with the gasket. Sorry if I messed you up. David