Fisher Insert Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ucdcrew

Apr 26, 2014
Northern California
I moved into a rental property with a Fisher Insert in place. When I opened the stove up - I saw about half of the rope gasket missing. Then I started to do research before just blindly replacing it, and found that most of the Fisher stoves are manufactured to not have a gasket. I wanted to check with a fisher person before I yanked it off. I'm assuming if its not supposed to be there, it is probably impeding the seal. Pictures below -

Fisher stove insert. Top measures 24" across. Ignore the wood...haha.
IMG_20140426_172330_427-e1398560749747.jpg

Opened with door 'gasket' installed.
IMG_20140426_172437_515-e1398560820520.jpg

Inside of door.
IMG_20140426_172515_463-e1398560880683.jpg

Well after playing with it some - the gasket was there because the door latch is loose. I think its loose from being forced on top of the nickle protector plate. Are there spacers or anything like that?

Years ago I found that I had the same problem that you have. I put a new rope gasket in and it really calmed the stove down . I was able to control the fire much easier with a gasket installed and I know you well find the same. I also found the door latch loose like yours. I tried a half inch socket slid over the end of the latch rod. That made the rod thicker and tightened up the whole door. After trying several sockets for proper fit I picked out the best one. Than pull the door off and have it spot welded on to the rod end. If you don't have the capability of welding, any welding shop would do it for next to nothing. Problem solved. David

The latch rod needs to be bent properly to pull the door tight. The bend can straighten due to inside heat and undue pressure trying to latch the door too tight. The gasket material is not required and fills the space where it needs to be metal to metal contact. The door seal is welded to the Insert front (1 inch channel iron) and the doors have a raised portion that seats in the center of channel iron. The edges of channel iron also contact inside of door face making it a 3 point contact and air tight as designed. When gasket material is added (many people never saw a stove that didn't require gasket material - and think it's missing) The doors may not close fully, and cause undue stress at he hinge pins. once removed, you need to buff the channel iron groove with a wire wheel to remove all traces of gasket cement. Sandpaper can be used to clean the door sealing areas to make a clean metal to metal contact.

Details on bending the latch rod are here in my post #127 of this thread. It's a very simple fix.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...pa-bear-details-fireplace-series.69448/page-6

Status
Not open for further replies.