Fisher insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

weee123

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2022
NJ
So I’m looking to replace the barrel stove in my barn with an older stove. I found a Fisher insert on marketplace for a good price. I’m assuming I could just either weld angle iron on for legs or use block? Also are the 8” or 6” outlet?

8 inch, but since you are not following codes for installation, reducing to 6 will probably work straight up.

Some simply set on blocks, they look strange on spindly legs. A blower blowing into the slot on the bottom extracts a lot more heat out of the slot on top. This removes heat from the hottest portion around the vent pipe.

Awesome thanks for the info. It already came with an 8”-6” reducer and the blower kit. Im going to wire wheel and paint it then plop it up on 2 cinder blocks. This thing is a monstrous heavy beast. I’m curious as to how much it weighs, as it was much heavier and more difficult to move than my Englander 32

IMG_5352.jpeg

All wire brushed, painted, and installed. I think it looks great, can’t wait to fire it up.

IMG_5354.jpeg IMG_5355.jpeg IMG_5358.jpeg IMG_5361.jpeg IMG_5362.jpeg

Awesome thanks for the info. It already came with an 8”-6” reducer and the blower kit. Im going to wire wheel and paint it then plop it up on 2 cinder blocks. This thing is a monstrous heavy beast. I’m curious as to how much it weighs, as it was much heavier and more difficult to move than my Englander 32

View attachment 315855
525 lbs.
At $1.33 a pound, sold for $699.

You shouldn't be using galvanized pipe. It can offgas zinc. And check your clearance to the wood
Oh I know I weld and work with it for a living. That pipe’s already had most of the galvo smoked off it already from the barrel stove that was there. Had all the doors open in the barn and let it go for a couple hours to clear the zinc off. I’ve gotten slight galvo flash before and it’s a rather unpleasant experience and is why I now use a respirator when welding or plasma cutting it.

I have a metal shielding around the wood with a 2” air gap. It’s actually astonishing how cool it is compared to the metal shielding when the barrel stove was there. I measured the wood at around 85* whereas the metal was I think 170 or so. I will definitely check temps again with the new stove. It’s around a 12” clearance from stove to shielding

Do you have any information on what you used for the stove pipe adapter? I’m wanting to do the same thing

That actually came with the stove when I got it. It was used to attach it to a 6” stainless liner at its previous home.