Fisher Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Retired33

Oct 24, 2011
Dingmans Ferry, Pa
Hello all, I'm new here and am attempting my first post. At the present time, I have a Fisher insert in my fireplace and quite frankly
I am having a hard time keeping up with it. I have been considering getting something smaller and free standing. My problem is
I would like to sell it but I don't the resources or the money to have it taken out. If I found someone who was interested in buying
it I wouldn't have a clue what to ask for it, so if anyone has helpful information I would really appreciate it.
It is in good shape and I will attempt to upload a photo of it. thanks, B.H.

Attachments

• Picture or Video 157 (Small).jpg
    Picture or Video 157 (Small).jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 502
  • Picture or Video 159 (Medium) (Small).jpg
    Picture or Video 159 (Medium) (Small).jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 471
  • Picture or Video 158 (Medium).jpg
    Picture or Video 158 (Medium).jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 454
  • Picture or Video 155 (Medium).jpg
    Picture or Video 155 (Medium).jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 474
I'm curious what you mean by having a hard time "keeping up with it." Do some research on proper burn technique in stoves like these and it should deliver a great performance with minimal maintenance. I don't see a rake in the pictures there... Do you have a "stove" rake? I made mine out of rebar and a small piece of 1/8" steel plate welded to the end. By using the rake properly you will get more complete burns, cleaner burns, more heat output with less wood consumption, properly reduced ashes and less ash removal required. You may find that the fisher is adequate if you modify your technique to match the stove.

And add a blower so you don't have to fire it as hard. If a load in that thing doesn't burn 10 to 12 hours, you're doing something wrong.
I PMed you the value, probably not what you wanted to hear. (It's not a Nickel or Brass door as shown below) It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay. There are a few on Craigslist for a year now listed for 500 and not selling. Those listed for $100 sell fairly quick. $200 not so fast. Glass doors is a different story. People want to see a fire in their old fireplace. Glass and Brass sell for 5 to 600 easily.

Fuel from my place and back from you is about $50. A trailer with ramp is much easier with an Insert keeping it on wheels. You have 525 pounds there. I have a piano roller, dolly and winch. If there is yard or soft ground between your door and trailer ramp, plywood is needed or wait until the ground is frozen.
I have someone that can use it, and will go $200. He'll have to pay me the gas, so I'll start the bidding at $150. (and remove it) Figure 150 to 200 for an original blower. So there's the value with hauling and blower between 4 and 500.

Attachments

• insert w bottom blower 8.jpg
    insert w bottom blower 8.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 448
  • Insert w bottom blower 2.jpg
    Insert w bottom blower 2.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 561
  • Insert w bottom blower 6.jpg
    Insert w bottom blower 6.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 414
I need your help Coaly. I just Installed A fish insert just like the one above. When putting the fire bricks back in, they seem to have spaces between them. I wonder if I have the right bricks for the stove.

Welcome to the Hearth, what issues are you having with the Fisher?

I need your help Coaly. I just Installed A fish insert just like the one above. When putting the fire bricks back in, they seem to have spaces between them. I wonder if I have the right bricks for the stove.

How big are your spaces? after your first fire the spaces will fill with ash and before long it will look like a solid piece. I used to brick fishers, if they are tight you will not get them in. Just saying. If you are doing one stove you could custom cut each. If you bought a set and told someone what stove you have, they cut using a cut sheet probably and may have cut them a bit smaller so you would not have an issue installing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.