Fisher letting smoke into lounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VICKYSPEIRS

Mar 1, 2016
ABERDEEN SCOTLAND
I have a Fisher double door wood burning stove. I am in Aberdeen Scotland. It was in the house when we moved in. It is very smokey and must need the doors sealed. Where can I get sealing strips and help with this?

We need to know which stove model you have, maybe look on the back for a name plate. Most fisher stoves don't use a gasket. More than likely if your stove doesn't have a gasket it never had one and the problem is with the chimney or how you're operating it.
Most stove manuals can be found here so figure out which stove you have and then we'll find the manual.
A picture of the stove and chimney or stove pipe would help.

The resident expert Coaly will be along to weigh in. I'm still learning from him.

And welcome!

Sounds like draft issues so chimney or stove pipe information is important. When was the last time chimney/stove pipe was cleaned?

Edit: What about your wood? Well seasoned? Moisture content below 20?

The problem is not the stove it is the chimney or connecting pipe.
When the chimney flue is hot, (must be 250* to the top for ANY stove) the rising gasses create a low pressure in the flue, connector pipe and stove. ANY leaks will leak indoor air IN, not smoke out. This is the reason for having a correct chimney, to create a low pressure area for atmospheric air pressure to PUSH air into the stove. The stove is not operating correctly without the proper air pressures.
Check chimney and pipe for obstructions and give us details of chimney and pipe diameter and height.

Thanks for your helpful replies. The stove is a Granma from what I can deduce from the various threads as it has GM (R/L) on the doors. I have a Stove expert coming to repair next week but I will download a manual first. Can you give me the direct link to the manual please?

For the correct manual;
Are your doors flat top or arched top? Does it have angle iron down the corners that become legs?
The manual is not going to tell you what's wrong. It is mostly for installation.

Your problem relates back to the basics of what makes any stove work. The chimney temperature inside compared to outside temperature and the chimney diameter and height creating a pressure differential called draft. The rising gasses create what you can call a vacuum in the stove so indoor air rushes in to fill the vacuum. That is the air supplying oxygen to fire as well. This is what makes the stove go. The chimney is the engine that drives the stove. When you don't have the air pushing in, it burns lazy and can leak out. An obstruction in the chimney or connector pipe is the culprit if the chimney and pipe is correct and it worked before the problem started. A door gasket or doing something to the stove is masking the problem and won't make the stove heat up like it should by not correcting the draft problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.