Fisher Mama Bear - sand in between firebrick?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jane8851

Sep 1, 2015
Upstate NY
This is my Mama Bear purchased new in 1977 and she has been the only heat I've had for 38 yrs. I replaced the firebrick this summer and when she was new the dealer told me to put sand in between the firebrick before I used her. Do you still recommend adding sand before the first fire?

Attachments

• 10634024_996040463754688_9166987550746475670_o.jpg
    10634024_996040463754688_9166987550746475670_o.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 344
38 years. You should be telling us how to run it. Welcome to the forum.

That sand from 1977 was gone a long time ago and it ain't quit heating has it?

Thanks BrotherBart for the welcome! When people ask me why I have such an old "hippie stove" I like to tell them that when a new stove falls off the truck it breaks the stove - when a Fisher falls off the truck it breaks the road.

Reactions: BrotherBart
Jane, welcome to the forum. Looks like you take good care of that stove. How many cords per year are you burning in that beauty?

Less than 3 cords heats the whole house. House is small tho, 1 1/2 stories, open balcony to bedrooms. We've been toasty warm with only the stove. Finally put a stainless steel liner in the chimney this year and replaced the firebrick in the stove. Chimney runs inside through the center of the house.

With the liner in and you knowing how to run that puppy you are good to go for another 38 years. Bob Fisher is somewhere grinning.

Reactions: jane8851
Just be ready for a big difference in chimney draft with the liner. A new learning curve is probably coming up. When I put a liner in after 20 years my old stove wanted to take off like a rocket.

So... does anyone know if I need to put sand in the cracks between the new firebrick or just build a fire and smoosh the ash down in there?

If the new stoves are wimpy, and none of them talk about sand, I would think the ash would be good enough, unless maybe there are big gaps between the bricks.

The sand will fill the gaps and prevent the firebrick from shifting but the ash would do that as well. I see no advantage over allowing the ash to settle in.

Status
Not open for further replies.