Fisher Mama Bear smoke leaking thru seam in rear ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eastmaniac

Mar 8, 2016
Upstate NY
Hi all, great site , with more info on stoves than I could ever imagine. I have been burning wood for 36 years now with my Boss single door, so I'm not new to burning. But just recently we bought a Fisher Mama Bear, and refinished it, and fired it up out doors to cure the new paint. I have noticed that there is a seam in the steel plate, horizontal on the rear of the stove just below the outlet collar, this seam will allow smoke to escape when the door is opened ???? I can't imagine why this is a open seam , and not welded tight ? Can any one help with some info on this ? we're ready to simply run a bead of weld across this seam , and seal it up. I admit I am test burning with only 3 sections of 6" flue outdoors, but it does draft OK, the smoke does not exit the seam , until the door is opened, then you can visually see smoke coming out of this seam, Help ??

Welcome to the forum,
The back sheet should be one piece. Close up pictures would help. Is the seam the entire width of rear sheet?
There was a thread started not long ago with someone having a Fisher with a rear seam that was very strange as well. I made the deduction it was made in Kansas by Hesston. See if the outlet pipe is welded on the inside of yours as well.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/momma-bear-question.153385/#post-2060390

The pipe you have will not create near enough draft. It is OK for curing paint only.
The chimney flue temperature differential between inside flue and out is what causes rising gasses to create enough low pressure in the connector pipe and stove to allow atmospheric air pressure to push into stove. When the right size chimney is connected and above 250* to the top, indoor air will rush into door and prevent smoke from rolling in. I'd plate it or weld.
I'll take care of your duplicate thread.

Thanks Coaly, I will try to post pictures of the rear sheet, and numbers on the front door, along with the info on UL tag as to manufacturer. Thanks again.

Welcome to the forum,
The back sheet should be one piece. Close up pictures would help. Is the seam the entire width of rear sheet?
There was a thread started not long ago with someone having a Fisher with a rear seam that was very strange as well. I made the deduction it was made in Kansas by Hesston. See if the outlet pipe is welded on the inside of yours as well.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/momma-bear-question.153385/#post-2060390

The pipe you have will not create near enough draft. It is OK for curing paint only.
The chimney flue temperature differential between inside flue and out is what causes rising gasses to create enough low pressure in the connector pipe and stove to allow atmospheric air pressure to push into stove. When the right size chimney is connected and above 250* to the top, indoor air will rush into door and prevent smoke from rolling in. I'd plate it or weld.
I'll take care of your duplicate thread.

Coaly, here's some pictures of the seam in the rear sheet, and some more info......the flue must be welded from the inside, pictures show it quite well. the UL tag says Mfg. was Hesston Corp, Hesston Div., Hesston Kansas. S/N F494668 Date 6 80, the markings inside the front door appear to be 638789 and 262 8 is upside down, (also in picture)Notice the dual air shutters have a weld on each bolt/nut so they cannot be opened any more than 3/16 ", is this correct ? It is also stamped with a 0 on the tag for a PaPa Bear, which I doubt as it measures 32 1/2 x 18 1/2 x 30" high. top plate measures 20" wide x 15" front and 16" rear. we agree, welding the seam is the answer, but why the seam in the first place, I don't know how the previous owner burned it at all, although the creosote in the pictures say a lot !! Thanks for you help and input and the history on our new stove.!! DSCN2969.JPG DSCN2972.JPG DSCN2970.JPG DSCN2971.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.