Fisher manual

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stefan200

Feb 15, 2016
north Georgia
I am trying to id my Sears-copy stove and was told to check the Fisher threads for info.

I went to the Fisher Stove Manual thread and was able to download all the manuals but this one:

Bear Series VI ; UL listed single door stoves ( copyright 1980 ) later cathedral door
https://www.hearth.com/images/uploads/Bear_Series_VI_Manual_1980.pdf

I probably have the "early flat top door" but I'd like to be sure.

My browser (FireFox and Chrome) says the link has a redirect loop. Is the link really broken or is this just happening for me?

Thanks,
Stefan

The early VI manual loads, you're right, there is something wrong with the later VI manual link.
The later manual is for stoves made after 1980 with the redesigned box and new style doors. Possibly some changes for clearance due to shields. Each manual with UL listing on front becomes a part of the listing and installing as they were tested. So using them for any other stove is not advised.
The first manual that covers all the stoves when there were only 5 is the most generic. It is pre UL testing and they were the first stove maker building steel plate stoves. No manual came with the first stoves. Customers asked for operation instructions and the PA fabricator wrote that first manual to supply with their stoves. Your installation would adhere to NFPA 211 ; unlisted appliances section if it has no UL approval tag.

I think my "Sears Air-Tight Wood Heater", model no. 143.841540, is probably a copy of the early Fisher Mama Bear or perhaps the Mama Bear VI. More likely the earlier one, since my door is flat on top. I haven't figured out what year it was made yet.

IMAG0460s.jpg

A relative bought a house and this stove was in the basement and I got it for free. It has hardly been used. Just some scattered surface rust on it. All the parts are there (no blower though). I had kind of been wanting to buy one for my mountain vacation house, so this came along very conveniently. I am probably not going to install it for a couple of years, since I am still renting out that house.

These forums are really great. I am a neophyte on wood stoves. I didn't know Sears sold them and I had never even heard of Fisher before, but it seems like I lucked into a great unit. I think it's going to take me a few weeks to go through all the information here.

Status
Not open for further replies.