Fisher Stove and Chimney Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HillbillyRon

Jan 30, 2006
I am looking at buying a used Fisher Grandma Stove and had a few questions maybe someone here could help me with. What should I look for in the way of things that may wear out? What color was the stove originally, it looks like it is a lite blue color so maybe it has been repainted. They are asking $650.00 for it. In the picture it looks like they have welded a 6” reducer on the 8” outlet. Can this be removed easily? It looks like there is a good 6” of the 8” connection before they put a reducer on it. I really want an 8” stove as my connection is 8” on my house. The situation there is the house was built by the Mennonites (they did a very nice job on it by the way – built in 2000 for one of their own). They have an 8” round clay tile stove pipe coming into the basement for stove connection. The round goes into a rectangular vertical clay tile pipe which is enclosed in a stone veneered concrete block chimney built up against the house – technically the chimney is almost detached except at the roof overhang. They have an ash cleanout for the chimney below the 8” round clay tile connection also. They left me some of the old stove pipe, 8” elbow which slides right into the clay tile pipe an inch or less before it stops, I am wondering how you fasten it to the clay pipe other than it just slides in. They also left me an 8” straight section. So what issues with my chimney set up should I be worried about also? Let me know if I need to give more info.

Last edited by a moderator:
member coaly is the person you need to talk to about Fisher stoves ... I moved your thread to the section of the forum dedicated to that type of wood stove.

Thanks; We spell it FISHER here. :rolleyes:

Size of flue all the way up?
Satin Black by Stove Bright is the best paint and close to original IF it was black. Only sanding will determine the original color if it wasn't all removed.
What model Grandma is it? UL tag? $650 is too much for most.
Pipe to thimble should be a snug slip fit. Do not insert any farther than end of clay inside chimney.

You made my day.

Reactions: Lake Girl
Status
Not open for further replies.