Fisher with hood to ventilation system

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

petersenj20

Hearth Supporter
Oct 27, 2007
West o Atlanta
I have my Fisher woodstove in my garage and made a hood that is connected to the cold air intake of the ventilation system. The furnace hasn't worked for a few years and am using the fan set in the "on" position. The problem is when the fire dies down at night and the garage gets cold, it starts sucking cold air into the house.

How can I use the existing thermostat or install another one to the fan, to shut off when the stove drops below say 200°?
Maybe there is a heat controlled baffle I can install in the cold air duct?

Um first off.... Most areas do NOT allow stoves in garages. Be sure that it is allowed by code, and even then, your insurance may not allow it. I am not even going to get into the issue with a hood over the stove and the air being blown into the house, IMHO not a very good idea. I do not wish to upset you by not answering your question but, I would not want that type of setup in my house even IF it were legal !!!!

How is this any different than having it installed in a basement? I see hoods over wood stoves all the time on this site. What are they connected to? My stove does pass code as I had it inspected and approved albeit prior to the cold air hood. I have Carbon Monoxide detectors, and my hood is made so that it draws minimal if any smoke. I also have an exhaust fan in the garage to extract smoke from opening the doors of the stove. How is that any different than having a stove in the house that releases smoke directly inside?

Thanks for the concern though.

As I said in most places, garage is a no-no. In your area it passes so cool. I personally do no like hoods, I feel right or wrongly that they are a hazard, they can circulate smoke and poison gasses,and in the event of an unforeseen circumstance they can exasperate an already bad situation. Again this is all IMHO. Hey if it works for you..... I am not passing judgement, or didn't mean to, on you or your setup. I am simply saying I would not want a similar setup.

As far as your fan question, I would imagine that there is an adjustable temperature activated control module of some sort that would work.

Without getting into the "should you" debate, there are heat activated relay contacts that turn on the fan on many stoves. Mine has one. Once the stove reaches about 200, it kicks on the fan, and will shut it off when the temp drops to about 175.

Status
Not open for further replies.