fisher wood stoves ul approved

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fishead

Jan 16, 2017
UP of MI
we are looking for a fisher stove that is ul approved for ins. purposes.We found a mama bear with the cathedral doors,but it has no ul sticker,is there a chance that it was removed when,if it was refurbished.From what I've read the doors were changed around the time they started the ul approved stoves.

we are looking for a fisher stove that is ul approved for ins. purposes.We found a mama bear with the cathedral doors,but it has no ul sticker,is there a chance that it was removed when,if it was refurbished.From what I've read the doors were changed around the time they started the ul approved stoves.
It doesn't matter if it was approved or not without the sticker there is no ul approval. For stoves where the company is still in business you can occasionally get them to reissue a sticker but it will not happen with a fisher.

Reactions: coaly
The UL listed stoves have a shield on bottom and rear with tag affixed to rear shield. The corners will be bent instead of using angle iron on the corners that become legs. Most fabricators continued to make the old style that was not tested to UL listing standard with the Cathedral doors after 1980. They were $100 cheaper when it was not necessary to use a UL Approved stove on non-combustible hearth or cement floor with non-combustible wall behind it.
The stoves were tested by different labs for the areas they were in before the UL testing specifications were adopted nationwide. They are not an unsafe stove, they just were not tested to the standard required by most jurisdictions now.

This is the Listed version;

Papa VI CL 1.jpg Papa VI CL 3.jpg

The optional leg style will change the look. Here is a listed Baby Bear shown with Fireplace Leg option;

Baby 3.jpg Baby 9.jpg

That is the stove body to look for. They are also known as Model VI.

Here's a Mama you're looking for with standard legs;

VI Tag on Mama.jpg VI Tag on Mama with clearances.jpg Tag on same stove.

The stoves were tested by different labs for the areas they were in before the UL testing specifications were adopted nationwide. They are not an unsafe stove, they just were not tested to the standard required by most jurisdictions now.
I agree but if the insurance company want it to be ul listed it needs to have the ul tag plain and simple. Nothing else will matter to them.

Reactions: coaly
I agree but if the insurance company want it to be ul listed it needs to have the ul tag plain and simple. Nothing else will matter to them.
Amen.