Fishy Craigslist classified

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yukiginger

Nov 20, 2005
Here is a posting on my local craigslist. The subject is "still lookin for a log splitter"

This whole thing sounds questionable to me. I would think he's trying to scope out my log splitter and how/where it is stored. Less than a cord to split and he wants to load it on his truck/probably trailer, trailer to your site, unload it, split it, load it back on his trailer and be on his way after paying you some little amount for rent? All of this when there are splitters available for rent in the area?

Anyone else think this is odd?

MarkG

Hello, I am still looking to rent a splitter before winter. I would bring my wood to you, split it, and haul it away. I will clean up after myself and will fill the tank on the splitter. I have approx 2 - 3 FC to split and I'm just really getting tired of doing it manually.

It would be a great way for you to make a few bucks for just watching me split wood.

Thanks.

That does sound more than a little wierd to me. Makes just about as much sense as:

Wanted to rent zero turn lawn mower. I will have my sod taken up and transported to your yard where I will unroll and cut it. Don't worry, I'll fill the tank on your mower when I'm done. You can even keep the clippings for mulch or compost.

P.S. Just give me the code for the garage door or leave a key under the mat if you won't be home.

Even if the guy is legit, the rule around here is that nobody uses my chainsaws or log splitter on my property but me. And Allstate appreciates me keeping it that way.

He's a terrorist, definitely a terrorist. Not that there are ever any weird people on Craigslist! Just say no, or tell him you'll do it for what the normal rental-place fee is- that will tell you his intentions better than anything else. Either that, or you could take your splitter to a friend's house for him to use there. If he breaks into their place later, you'll know you were right.

not that i would do it but it seems like a perfectly normal request to me.
some people have no idea what their other options are (ie renting a splitter and bringing it home or buying a less expensive electric splitter).

yukiginger said:
Here is a posting on my local craigslist. The subject is "still lookin for a log splitter"

This whole thing sounds questionable to me. I would think he's trying to scope out my log splitter and how/where it is stored. Less than a cord to split and he wants to load it on his truck/probably trailer, trailer to your site, unload it, split it, load it back on his trailer and be on his way after paying you some little amount for rent? All of this when there are splitters available for rent in the area?

Anyone else think this is odd?

MarkG

Hello, I am still looking to rent a splitter before winter. I would bring my wood to you, split it, and haul it away. I will clean up after myself and will fill the tank on the splitter. I have approx 2 - 3 FC to split and I'm just really getting tired of doing it manually.

It would be a great way for you to make a few bucks for just watching me split wood.

Thanks.

Or...take your splitter to his place and split his wood at his place.............

Guess I'll play devils advocate here.
Maybe the person does not have the space to split the wood at his place? If hes in the city, space is a premium & the mess. Maybe he plits it, then takes it back home and stacks in the basement. Who knows.
Not that I believe that myself. Just another side to look at. :)

craig i put 3 small styrafoam coolers on craigs list at midnight one night for free because my transfer station told me to put them in the trash bin even though it said recyclable on the coolers. i felt too guilty.
anyway, i had two requests for them by 12:10 AM so i shut the ad down and someone came to get them the next day. amazing.

ok, i just pulled this off my local craigs list since its splitter related.
now this guy is asking for trouble. renting out his own home made log splitter. i'm pretty sure you can't run your own rental center out of your house...

"Split your fire wood. Log Splitter for rent. Large, heavy-duty, home made. 10 hp engine, hydraulics from a bulldozer. 25 ton capacity. $60 per day. $400 deposit required. Please call (***) ***-**** if interested."

It may be totally legal - so is the ability of the customer to sue the dude, and your insurance to not pay!
I think you can run whatever business you want our of your house- usually the line is drawn at employees coming over and working (in certain areas), or if the neighbors complain....

That's the thing about Craigslist - it's up the buyer and seller to agree on whatever the deal is. Buyer and seller beware!

I have met some nice people through CL, as in tennis players and musicians...even the contractors who framed my addition.

Webmaster said:
I have met some nice people through CL, as in tennis players and musicians...even the contractors who framed my addition.

Seems like anything can be found on craigslist. A local station did a segment on the news last night that said that craigslist is now the number one advertising media for hookers.

BrotherBart said:
A local station did a segment on the news last night that said that craigslist is now the number one advertising media for hookers.

WOW - isn't the internet amazing!!! Now the hookers don't have to set up a booth at the Big E, and risk life and limb to be next to someone displaying Tarms. :lol:

I had a car busted into and the radio stolen. The car was advertized in the local paper and I got several callers who asked about it, including one caller who asked specifically about the radio and where I had the car on display. It was burgled the same night. These were the days prior to the internet, but it taught me a valuable lesson.

Status
Not open for further replies.