Fiskars Axe/Mauls

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paperman

Aug 13, 2010
east coast
Hey Gang,

What's the big difference between the Fiskars 7859 28-Inch Pro Splitting Axe for $35.69 with free shipping vs the Fiskars 7854 Super Splitting Axe with 28-Inch Handle for $33.50 with free shipping from Amazon? Does one have a better purpose than the other one? Also I'm 6'1", and I read one review that said the handle was kinda short for taller people.

Thanks in advance!!!!

I think the super splitter is heavier.

I just ordered the Super Splitter from Amazon yesterday. I think it's almost double the weight of the pro splitter at 4 1/4 lb.

The price on Amazon for the super splitter has dropped below the price of the pro splitter (this happened about a month ago). It is not logical that the 2 pound heavier axe is less expensive, but it is true.

I got my Super Splitter today and I'm very impressed. I've always found splitting wood by hand to be a terrible chore but with this Super Splitter I was having fun blasting through some red oak, white oak and cherry. I didn't spend too much time with it becuase it was so hot and humid but now I can't wait to split wood with it.

Thanks for all of the responces but, but what are the advantages of the one over the other? Both are supposed to split wood but, does one do a specific job better than the other? Thanks in advance. By the way, Amazon raised the price of the maul up to $39.99.

I have the super splitter and have seen the "pro." I think the head design with the "wings" and the couple of extra pounds makes the super splitter a better axe to replace a maul with. I think the pro will split well, but probably does more "axe" like things easier, like notching logs, shearing off small limbs, etc. mostly by virtue of being lighter. My opinion for what its worth...

I've got both. I thought I ordered the Super but got the Pro instead. Very light and it does the job, but I ordered the Super Splitter and haven't picked up the lighter splitter since. They're both great but I find the heavier head is as easy to use and splits more effectively with fewer whacks. I love the Fiskars splitters and have one of each (the short one goes in the camping supply box). I also ordered an extra Super Splitter when I saw how low the price had gone--two is one and one is none!

Technique-wise, you need to be careful with these as they are very sharp. Steel toed boots are a minimum safety requirement IMO and I use a "wide stance" in case the head goes through and toward me. A log in front of your feet also absorbs overstrikes.

I have the Super Splitter and am very happy with it. I'm thinking about getting the Pro too. I figure that maybe I can get the Mrs to swing the lighter one and that sometimes I'd like a lighter splitter that I can more easily use one handed on smaller stuff that won't stand up on it's own or to make kindling.

I have them both. I never use the small one anymore, I keep it in the Dune-mobile for emergencys.

ordered super splitter from amazon, should be here tomorrow. ill let u know how i like it.

I have the SS and the small splitting axe. The small guy is nice for kindling. The SS is the workhorse.

got my SS today. seems like a nice piece, just gonna take some time getting used to. been splitting for 2 seasons with a 8lb maul. i was using both and seems like the maul still has that knock down hit like a .45ACP, the SS reminds me of a 9mm. but 1 thing i did notice is that i can put the edge almost anywhere i want, u can get very surgical with that b1tch.

For anybody wishing the handles were longer, or having problems with the short handles... wish no more. Word on the street is that Fiskars is currently working on developing longer handled version of these!!!

CountryBoy19 said:
For anybody wishing the handles were longer, or having problems with the short handles... wish no more. Word on the street is that Fiskars is currently working on developing longer handled version of these!!!

I heard the same thing.

paperman said:
Thanks for all the reply's. Any idea when the longer version is going to be on the market?
my guess is never.

Status
Not open for further replies.