Fiskars is SHARP...found out the hard way

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trumpeterb

Jul 15, 2009
Western PA
My Fiskars supersplitter is sharp. I just got it a few weeks ago, and learned the hard way not to touch the edge. As I was splitting a load of wood, I went to put the axe down and grap a piece of wood with the other hand. I ran my wrist across the blade accidentally....what a blood bath. They had to glue my wrist back together with medical superglue, and said I was lucky hat I just missed my radial artery. I was so concerned about being safe during the splitting action with that short handle, I guess I just let my guard down when I wasn't actively splitting. I guess I need to be more focused on safety the ENTIRE time that axe is out of the shed.

Yikes! Be careful. hope you heal soon!

Does it really need to be that sharp? I was considering getting one - but I don't know now. That's broken glass sharp.

basswidow said:
Does it really need to be that sharp? I was considering getting one - but I don't know now. That's broken glass sharp.

Think the general consensus is that any tool that comes sharp from the factory should be kept as sharp as possible--the old "a dull knife is more dangerous than a sharp knife" axiom.

That being said, when I bought a new high-quality Japanese folded metal kitchen knife, I cut myself 3 or 4 times because the darn thing was so sharp.......lol! Still, I think if it's designed to be sharp you should keep it sharp, at least that's my opinion.....

NP

I'll respect the edge when I get mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.