Fiskars pro splitting axe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heffergm

Nov 24, 2009
South Shore, MA
One word: Wow!

It takes apart wood like a small explosion hit it. I was expecting a well made tool, but the fact that it works better than I imagined is a plus. I usually split with an axe, and it puts my true temper to shame (for splitting anyway).

I wasn't expecting it to be quite so light. But that and the short handle means crazy head speed, which is what I rely on (I weigh 135 on a good day).

Definitely worth the 40 bucks.

I would highly recommend that you use steel toe boots with the splitting axe from Fiskars. It overcomes it weigh differences by velocity and more than a few times I have been saved from serious injury by my steel boots. Having said that I think this axe is great and I actually own three of them. I typically hand split 50 cords a year and the only problem that I have found is that large connecting knots where the only way to break through the splits is with more weight. In those rare cases I have my old wedge type monster maul (16 lbs) and it can just about handle anything if you can swing it fast enough. The problem of course is you just cannot swing it for long while the Fiskars axe can take through most of the day. A few times a month I use my PTO splitter to handle the impossilbe blocks but for the most part the Fiskars axe is all I use 95% of the time. The only other tool that is as important at this axe is my "grab a log" tool which is also short at 30" inches or so but it eliminates having to bind over and pick up the firewood spilts which really makes a huge difference in being able to split for long periods of time. It can also lift 100 inch logs without bending over that are up to 15 inch in diameter high enough to drag around the the wood yard as necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.