Fiskars Splitting Axe,Best length for my height

HDRock Posted By HDRock, Nov 6, 2012 at 1:48 AM

1. HDRock

HDRock
    Minister of Fire

Oct 25, 2012
    Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    well, I like the X 25 it works good, and I think it gives me a little more control than a longer handle.

Maybe they should make the handles like this ;lol
    ergonomic-snow-shovel.jpg

2. Dune

Dune
    Minister of Fire

Jan 14, 2008
    Loc:
    Commonwealth Of Massachussetts
    I have both the long and the shorter fiskars. I am much happier with the performance of the longer one. Save your money.

3. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd
    Minister of Fire

Oct 19, 2008
    Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    You have the one with a 2.25lb head and 24" handle? Rilly?

4. Dune

Dune
    Minister of Fire

Jan 14, 2008
    Loc:
    Yes. It was the only one available in my area at the time. I now keep it in my utility truck for some emergencies.
    Later I found the longer 4.4 pound version in a hardware store several hundred miles from here and bout it on the spot.

5. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd
    Minister of Fire

Oct 19, 2008
    Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    You have used and own both, eh. . . you are a rare specimen, indeed.

Next question: does your preference for the longer handle have anything whatsoever to do with your height?

6. Dune

Dune
    Minister of Fire

Jan 14, 2008
    Loc:
    I doubt it. I didn't say you were incorrect about the height.

7. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd
    Minister of Fire

Oct 19, 2008
    Loc:
    Shelton, WA

WTF? That was my main point to the OP.

8. Dune

Dune
    Minister of Fire

Jan 14, 2008
    Loc:
    My only point is that a longer handle imparts more impact.

9. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd
    Minister of Fire

Oct 19, 2008
    Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    Right, until you were made to concede, by me, that at a certain length handles become unwieldy and inefficient.

What length is that, BTW? And how do you know?

10. Dune

Dune
    Minister of Fire

Jan 14, 2008
    Loc:
    Well, let's see. For the first 30 years or so I split wood with a 36" 8 pound mail.
    Eventually I found that a certain axe, with half that head weight could split better than the maul, and leave me less tired.
    Since I know from experience that if I have to, I can swing an 8 pound head 3 feet out, it is a given that the 4.4 pound head can also be readily swung 3 feet out, and clearly it strikes that much harder 3 feet out than 2 feet out.

11. salmonhunter

salmonhunter
    Burning Hunk

Apr 16, 2012
    Loc:
    newbrunswick canada
    longer is better! maybee bigg_redd believes smaller is better because thats what his wife keeps telling him to not hurt his feelings!:p nah im just kidding. I think the longer handle is better but never used the smaller one so?

Boog likes this.
  12. mossycup

mossycup

Dec 4, 2010
    Loc:
    Northern Illinois
    I first bought the X25 and thought the handle was too short, so I sprang for the X27 as soon as it was available. I am 5'-10" tall and when I'm splitting and get into the groove, I have found that the X25 feels better when using a stump/block to split on. Now, when a crotchy, knotty piece sneaks onto the stump I sometimes have to break out the X27 for the bit of extra explosive swing that can go into it. My X25 and a sledge/wedge make good wood.

13. trailmaker

trailmaker

Sep 24, 2010
    Loc:
    Northern California
    I've heard the term "kinetic chain sequence" when people discuss the mechanics of pitching. It's basically the idea that different parts of the body "unwind" like a whip cracking. The same physics must apply to swinging an axe. Each person has different physical dimensions and style of swing, so each person probably has a theoretical best handle length and head weight. I own both lengths and prefer the 28in axes, I feel like I'm getting a sharper faster "whip crack". I'm 5 feet 8 inches and use a splitting stump.

14. freddypd

freddypd
    Burning Hunk

Jan 3, 2012
    Loc:
    Long Island NY
    Just got the X27 yesterday. Very nice. Gave it a few swings and it felt great. Of course I am a beginner and have nothing to compare it to. I also got the Fiskars sharpener.