Fiskars splitting axe users chime in please.............

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffman3

Nov 20, 2007
S.W. Nebraska
I am considering a Fiskars super splitting axe. I am concerned whether it will handle the 12-18 inch elm we are, and will be, splitting. Our average round isn't 18" but we have split some that big. With only 4 1/2 pounds will it still do the job? I am also concerned about the 28 inch handle. I was using a 31 inch handle and it felt about right, and safer as the head is out there a ways. Will the shorter handle be a factor in its ability to power through the larger elm, and do you see it as a safety issue in case of a glancing strike.

Your input and experience is helpful.

I only have a 14" hatchet made by Fiskars (it's my kindling splitter), but if the design and quality of the hatchet are any indication of how the splitting axe is made, go for it. This is the lightest hatchet I've ever had, but definitely the toughest. It's very top-heavy because the handle is essentially hollow, but that seems to improve the swing. The handle seems like it would be flimsy, but has held up to the kind of abuse that has destroyed hickory handles. The head is made of steel that holds its edge, but also sharpens very nicely. I haven't regretted the purchase for a second.

I'm happy with my Fiskars splitter. I too thought the handle felt flimsy, but it's pretty tough. It doesn't "bull" through wood like a heavy maul, but man, I can swing it with some serious speed! Don't split your big rounds, but simply take pieces off, working around the outside of your round. I have no regrets with my Fiskars & I throw it in the motorhome when I camp.

I use mine sometimes as a one-handed splitting axe, but the handle is too short for me to use as a serious splitting tool. My wife absolutely loves it, though. 28" is about perfect for someone who is around 5'2" to 5'4", and it seems to split with much less effort.

Thank you for the input. I am trying to re-handle the maul I have..(I really hope that works, I will know tomorrow :) ) but if that doesn't work then I will most likely be looking for something else. The Fiskars caught my attention because of the guarantee, but I have also looked at the Gransfors Bruk.

I'm a big fan of Gransfors products, and own several. The large Splitting Axe is really an amazing tool, and I much prefer it to a maul. If I need more "oomph", out come the sledge & wedge!

-=[ Grant ]=-

GrantC said:
I'm a big fan of Gransfors products, and own several. The large Splitting Axe is really an amazing tool, and I much prefer it to a maul. If I need more "oomph", out come the sledge & wedge!

-=[ Grant ]=-

Do you know if one can get replacment handles for the Gransfors products? I would hate to buy a $140 splitting maul and not be able to get a handle for it if it ever does break.

Hi Guys,

I have had 3 Fiskars splitting axes. The first one I used expclusively for all splitting for 5 years. It broke (dont know how) but after 5 years, they sent me a brand new one. I also bought a smaller (23.5 inch) splitting axe for kindling. Both work great, and you get some serious speed.

However, you can only cut chips of the side of large rounds. Since, I like nice large splits, I bought a $25 splitting maul. Much better for large rounds. I also bought a wedge and maul for stubborn large rounds.

I guess, all tools have their application, so you had better get all the tools!!!!!

Carpniels

jeffman3 said:
Do you know if one can get replacment handles for the Gransfors products? I would hate to buy a $140 splitting maul and not be able to get a handle for it if it ever does break.

Yep - not all dealers stock them, but they are readily available. I know that Country Knives in PA stocks all of the handles, and there are no doubt others who do as well.

-=[ Grant ]=-

Thanks Grant! I know the fiskars is a great tool, but for my aplication I think I need more weight then the fiskars has. I really think the Gransfors is in my future. The epoxy I used to rehandle the 6 # maul I have now didn't set up hard! I can put a finger nail dent in it after 24 hours. I don't think it will hold up. I guess only a swing or two will tell. Right now it is snowing, and as bad as I want to test it, I have split wood on the porch, and splitting during a snow storm just doesn't sound like fun.

carpniels said:
Hi Guys,

However, you can only cut chips of the side of large rounds. Since, I like nice large splits, I bought a $25 splitting maul. Much better for large rounds. I also bought a wedge and maul for stubborn large rounds.

Carpniels

Thanks Carpniels
I thought that would be the case. I am splitting some pretty big stuff, so I am concerned that the Fiskars may not have enough weight to do what I need it do.

GrantC said:
jeffman3 said:
Do you know if one can get replacement handles for the Gransfors products? I would hate to buy a $140 splitting maul and not be able to get a handle for it if it ever does break.

Yep - not all dealers stock them, but they are readily available. I know that Country Knives in PA stocks all of the handles, and there are no doubt others who do as well.

-=[ Grant ]=-

I just checked the web sight, and they do have them, but they also are charging to much for the maul. The "shop on line" link on the Gransfors USA web sight has the maul listed for $137, and Country Knives has the same maul listed for $178. That's quite a difference. I will just have to see what happens with my current maul I guess. Decisions are coming in the near future think.

I have managed to stick it. The one downside to this tool is you can't pound it home, You have to get a wedge in to get this out. I now use hydraulics for most of my splitting. I reserve the manual tools for clean straight grain stuff when I want a work out.

If you aim off of the center, you'll find that the Fiskar's does a great job of chewing through that wood. I use mine constantly and love it. Yes, the handle seems small at first, but you'll get used to it. And the shaping of the head more than compensates for the loss in weight.

jeffman3 said:
I am considering a Fiskars super splitting axe. I am concerned whether it will handle the 12-18 inch elm we are, and will be, splitting. Our average round isn't 18" but we have split some that big. With only 4 1/2 pounds will it still do the job? I am also concerned about the 28 inch handle. I was using a 31 inch handle and it felt about right, and safer as the head is out there a ways. Will the shorter handle be a factor in its ability to power through the larger elm, and do you see it as a safety issue in case of a glancing strike.

Your input and experience is helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.