Fiskars Super Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
pen said:
I'm with Wine and Mike. Great tool, steel is a bit soft, fiskars sharpener is not very impressive (cheap).

I like mushroom find that I like both the super splitter and the x27. Although, I find myself using the x27 more because the longer handle keeps the toes a bit safer in the event that the splitting block gets split.

pen

Three words-form, form, and form. If you swing correctly the Fiskers will crack open some of the toughest rounds with ease, even when the edge is a little subpar. Practice makes perfect!

Badfish740 said:
Three words-form, form, and form. If you swing correctly the Fiskers will crack open some of the toughest rounds with ease, even when the edge is a little subpar. Practice makes perfect!

True statement. In my case, form isn't the issue I assure you. Processing around 10-12 cord a year, I've had some practice.

With my old maul I would never use a splitting block (a block under the piece of wood I want to split). I'd sharpen it once a year and that was just a touch up. I used the fiskars 2x on the ground. The 2nd time left a chip out of it which was nearly the size of my pinky nail. Since I've used a block under the wood I'm splitting with it. With the shorter fiskars and having the wood I'm splitting up higher in the air, I've split through both the log I want split and my block and found it closer to my feet than I would hope to see. I'm not especially tall at 6 foot, but find that I don't have the x27 get any nearer to my feet than I'd want because of the added length.

What probably concerns me more than anything is the 2 cuts I have in my boots. They didn't happen from swinging the axe, but rather as it rested by my feet and I bent over to reach for a piece of wood. Apparently I drug my toe forward and touched the axe. Went right down to the gore-tex. These things are sharp. Steel toes are a good measure in the event of an accident.

pen

I don't know about you but I use my Fiskars for splitting the few things that don't fit in the stove because I fell asleep at the splitter. I've used it on may a log over the past two years and have never sharpened it. It is still sharp.

tbuff said:
Hello~

How do you know its time to sharpen your Super Splitter? Do you use the Fiskars Axe Sharpener? Any tips would be great. I love this Axe and want to make sure I take proper care of it.

If you think it needs sharpening, sharpen it. I just use a big bastard file.

EJL923 said:
I use quick change sanding discs on my die grinder to sharpen my mower blades. I find it is much faster than a stone, and not to aggressive like a bench grinder. it is very hard to heat them up to much, which wont temper the steel. I have been pretty aggressive with the blades and they are always cool enough to the touch. I also do that with my hatchet for camping. You can change the grit depending on how beat up the edge is. I can actually get a nice edge even when using 24 grit discs.

I use my 4" grinder to sharpen mower blades too.
I use a regular hard grinding wheel to rough it in, get any big dings out since I run over a lot of branches and stones and other stuff you're not supposed to run over. Then I'll hit it with a 80grit blending pad (soft wheel, flap disc, zirconium pad, whatever you want to call it). Then after that I balance it, then make any changes with the blending pad... Then after that I run over it with a 160grit blending pad. Comes out razor sharp. I do the same for all my things that are supposed to be sharp, with the exception of the chainsaw chains... Those are filed :)

At my old work, we used scrap stainless sheet bits and made knives/saws and other things out of them using 80grit blending pads after we cut the piece to size. They worked extremely well for cutting through anything that can be cut through. We'd make them out of .024" for thinner stuff, all the way up to .125"... We just used them as tools around the shop instead of a razor blade. Worked really well.

I'd also like to say, that I haven't sharpened my fiskars since I owned it, and I probably split up 1 1/2 cords of Pine with it... and some cottonwood and various random scrounges... I wondered why it seemed more difficult now than it felt before, I thought it was just me. Maybe it's not just me.... I just need to sharpen ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.