1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Fiskars Super Splitting Axe, 28" handle...

Post in 'The Gear' started by sl7vk, Dec 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    That which doesn't kill you makes you hurt like hell.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. mskif

mskif Member

Loc:
    Hudson Valley NY
    I got the same exact axe for Christmas as well. I gave it a run today and I am very impressed, but I am not totally comfortable with the short length yet.
  3. xrayman

xrayman Member

Loc:
    central Iowa
    I've got one and love it. Had to take it in and get it sharpened after 3 years and close to ten cords. And get steel toed boots as the others said I split a pair of cowboy boots between two of my toes and about had to get stitches, live and learn i guess
  4. mopfoot

mopfoot New Member

Loc:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I think I'm sold on Fiskars! Now which to buy first? I would like one that's small enough to take backpacking but do I buy the hatchet or the 17" splitting axe? Here are the tasks I'd want to accomplish with it in order of frequency:

- lop off small branches from rounds I'm about to split with the maul (at home)
    - make kindling
    - split small rounds
    - cut the occasional log to length (while backpacking)

Since I'm doing some chopping and some light splitting, which tool will work best across applications? I see some of you own both tools so I'm looking for your input.
  5. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
  6. MrSplitter

MrSplitter New Member

Loc:
    North Dakota
    Anyone had a chance to test one of these against Elm?
  7. Mmaul

Mmaul Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Muncie, IN
    I have had a chance with elm does a good job. The only thing the super splitter lacks is nice hard heart wood or some with nots. When I go out to split I take the monster maul and the fiskars what the fiskar wont split the monster will go through it. But the light weight makes the fiskars easy to swing a hundred times without getting tired. I definetly recommed one. I got a deal on mine Menards had them priced a$32.00 dollars they had two left I almost went back and go another one, For my wife.
  8. Jamess67

Jamess67 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Illinois
    Just got my Super splitter (4.25 lb) today If it wasnt 0 degrees out I might have given it a try.
  9. day52

day52 New Member

Loc:
    NW Ohio
    I just picked one up at Menards, too. On sale for $32 or a bit less even though they weren't marked. Have only swung it about 20 times so far, but boy am I impressed! Even though it is colder than a welldiggers _ _ _ .........., I think I may go out and give it a go again today. The monster maul will be reserved for my boy. If the Fiskars doesn't get it, the hydraulic comes out. Hey...I'm getting older, OK?!!
  10. Got Wood

Got Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Dutchess Cty, NY
    With my elbows and shoulders aching from splitting alot with a maul I decided to give this weapon a try. WOW, it splits soooo much easier than the maul. Thanks for all the advice!
  11. Mass. Wine Guy

Mass. Wine Guy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northeastern Massachusetts
    Good deal alert!

I just ordered the Fiskars Pro Splitting Axe with the 4 1/2 lb. head from Amazon. If you apply for and get their Visa card they take $30 off your first purchase. This means the axe will cost me about $14 instead of about $40.
  12. ahlkey

ahlkey New Member

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Based on this forum I bought the Fiskar Axe at Menards for $31.50 on sale from original price of $40 dollars. I have been splitting over 30 cords of wood per year with 8lb mauls, 12lb monster maul, and a 16 ton hydraulic splitter. Based on today's workout this axe is a real breakthrough design and I nearly doubled my normal output. I will likely be able to go many hours longer per day but I do recommend that you wear safety shoes with steel toes as the speed of the axe can get pretty scary.
  13. Mass. Wine Guy

Loc:
    Can anyone recommend a decent, reasonably priced pair of steel toe boots?
  14. sl7vk

sl7vk New Member

Loc:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I bought the Wolverine's in the link below.

http://www.famousfootwear.com/product.asp?product_id=1005709&variant_id=12036

At the time they were 59 bucks at my local famous footwear. They didn't have my size, but they shipped them to me from their warehouse for free. I'm sure there is better, or American made or all the rest, but these suit me perfectly for the amount of time they are on my feet.

The one thing I would recommend is trying them on though.... I usually wear 10.5 or 11 depending on the shoe, but I take a 10 in these. I think any steel toe will work fine so long as it fits well. This is one of the rare purchases I would not make over the internet unless I'd already tried the boot on.
  15. myzamboni

myzamboni Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Silicon Valley
    Just got my Fiskars yesterday. I swung it at some sweetgum rounds and it didn't even flinch. This is an amazing tool. My productivity is going to jump nicely. It is going to be so nice spending so much less effort splitting wood.
  16. Spikem

Spikem Member

Loc:
    Middleboro, MA, USA
    I think you'd need the Fiskars 21" hydraulic splitter for Elm.
  17. Mass. Wine Guy

Loc:
    I bought the Fiskars splitting axe from Amazon, opened an Amazon Visa account and immediately got $30 in credit toward my first purchase (which was the axe).
  18. Spikem

Spikem Member

Loc:
    Middleboro, MA, USA
    I ordered mine on 3/5/09 yet it hasn't shipped yet - out of stock.

Just out of curiosity, did they say your would ship right away?
  19. Mass. Wine Guy

Loc:
    Spike, Amazon tells you right there on the order page if it's in stock. If it is, they generally ship it out fast.
  20. nihil

nihil Member

Loc:
    Central Mass.
    I ordered a Fiskars 28" handle w/ the 4 1/4 lb head on 3/12/09 from Amazon. My order says it will ship between 3/13-3/16. Unfortunately the product page on Amazon says "Out of Stock" now. I'm crossing my fingers that it will ship Monday and that I'm not SOL.
  21. Spikem

Spikem Member

Loc:
    Middleboro, MA, USA
    It was indicated as in stock when I ordered it. Now, "out of stock".

:mad:
  22. Spikem

Spikem Member

Loc:
    Middleboro, MA, USA
    These are back in stock at Amazon.
  23. nihil

nihil Member

Loc:
    Central Mass.

Holy crap! They are listed to ship in 2-4 WEEKS! Really not pleased by this.
  24. sl7vk

sl7vk New Member

Loc:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Well, then I'd wait the 2-4 weeks.

I recently got some 30" Apricot and Ashe..... I used to loathe splitting.... Any excuse to keep cutting with the Dolmar, and I'd take it. Now any excuse to split and I'll take it!
    Yesterday, I split some rounds that were 20" Long.... My stove only takes 16"..... I figure I'll just miter them down to size. Splitting has become the most fun part of the job!
    One swing and crack, it breaks anything in two.

Buy it, use it, love it. (use steel toed boots when using it though... ;-) )
  25. Spikem

Spikem Member

Loc:
    Middleboro, MA, USA
    Anyone seen this available elsewhere than Amazon? I've been jerked around by them on this too long.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.