FISKARS WHICH ONE?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got mine from amazon.com for like $39. It came in like 4 days(free shipping, its faster than they say.)

wood-fan-atic said:
I just got mine from amazon.com for like $39. It came in like 4 days(free shipping, its faster than they say.)
Have you tried it yet? What do you think?

Oh, man. It lives up to the hype. Very different than swinging a maul, which Ive done all my life. Its very light, and VERY SHARP. I love it. I still went out and bought the 22 ton Huskee splitter (couldnt pass up the deal), but I will use the Fiskars when Im splitting a few of those 'picture perfect' rounds. %-P I believe that you will HAVE TO get it from Amazon......they are not in ANY stores on L.I. , only the 'pro splitting axe' is in stores.

Definitely get the super splitter. It's a terrific tool. The pro-splitter is nice, but is really an axe rather than a wood-splitter.

wood-fan-atic said:
Oh, man. It lives up to the hype. Very different than swinging a maul, which Ive done all my life. Its very light, and VERY SHARP. I love it. I still went out and bought the 22 ton Huskee splitter (couldnt pass up the deal), but I will use the Fiskars when Im splitting a few of those 'picture perfect' rounds. %-P I believe that you will HAVE TO get it from Amazon......they are not in ANY stores on L.I. , only the 'pro splitting axe' is in stores.

I bought my Super Splitter Pro at a hardware store in Sag Harbor.

I stand corrected. Good find,Dune. I searched high and low looking for the SS in stores big and small, across 4 states(while on vacation in New England). I got it VERY fast from Amazon using the 'free shipping' option. Ordered on a Friday, I think I got it Tuesday or Wednesday.

Yeah, it was a heck of a long ride, but they only had the two pounder around here.

SUPER!

I think amazon had my SS delivered before I hit 'Add to Cart'!

After splitting several rounds yesterday with my super, I've decided that any energy I saved by swinging a lightweight tool is negligent because I use more energy trying to wiggle the buried head out of the round. Still a nice tool, but don't know what i'd do without my heavy mauls. Having a Fiskars is kinda like owning a two-seater convertible. It's fun to use, everyone should have one, but at the end of the day it's pretty hard to haul wood and/or a family with one. If you can only have one tool, get one that will always work, then start getting the luxuries later.

Hmmmm. Thats interesting. I have not found that(head getting stuck) to be a problem. I have split red and white oak, locust, ash, beech, pear, and Norway maple with it without incident. I have changed my stance a bit to lower any chance of a mis-hit or glancing blow chopping my toes off. With a maul- I swing over my right shoulder with my left foot forward, shifting my weight from back-to-front as I swing. With the Fiskars SS- I stand directly facing the round with my legs equal distance apart and square to the target and swing straight overhead. The SS being so light I can take a FULL,unbridled swing and not throw out my back (in that position, swinging a maul like that would wrench my lower back).....and ,if I were to miss or go right thru like butter, the SS would go down directly BETWEEN my legs- that sucker is SHARP!! :gulp:

TreePointer said:
Fiskars Super Splitting Axe (model# 7854)

Super = 4.25 lbs with a head shaped more like a splitting wedge.
Pro = 2.25 lbs with a head shaped more like a chopping axe (blade flares out form heel to toe)

I own both. The Super is THE axe for splitting wood.

See them pictured here: http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Yard-and-Garden/Axes-and-Striking

I disagree. The Pro Splitter will do 99% of what the Super Splitter will do with half the weight.

bboulier said:
Definitely get the super splitter. It's a terrific tool. The pro-splitter is. . . really an axe rather than a wood-splitter.

The 20 or so cord I've split with mine in the last 2 years says otherwise.

I have and am very happy with the Super. I have let a few friends take a few swings with it and they have been very impressed with it too. I think I will eventually get the pro too. I find that I can swing the Super one handed on a lot of Oak I have been scrounging so maybe I can get away with the lighter one and cut down on my personal wear and tear, and maybe work faster. If you buy only one, I'd say buy the big one.

To the OP. Since you live on LI you want the Super. The Pro would be my choice if I only split straight grain easy stuff like Birch etc. I own both of these axes plus a Fiskars hatchet . I alternate between the 2 depending on the log. The Super is great for tough logs. The Pro is easier to swing. Often I bust a log apart with Super and then grab the Pro for final splitting. If I only had one it would be the Super but Im glad I have both.

I got my Super Splitter last fall and have not used anything else since. I have split 5-6 cords with it and love it. Every now and then I will pick my maul up and use it, just to compare. The SS is so much lighter and easier to swing. Not perfect, but the best manual splitting tool out there. With the shorter handle you do have to adjust your technique a little. If you miss hit and the head comes down and through toward your shins, you are in trouble. I come straight over the top and bend my knees as I go down, keeping the head travelling downward, insuring that it hits the cutting stump below.

Hey everyone, thanks for all the replies. I ordered the super from amazon. I'll post results after splitting some oak and locust. Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.