FISKARS Witch way to go

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bone1099

Jan 5, 2009
Northwest GA
I am planning to buy a splitting axe for the heck of it but i do plan to seriously split with it I have used many axes and mauls recently a friend and myself ha a head to head cotest between a 6# maule a 2Bit axe and a Fiskars pro splitting axe. The fiskars won hands down except maybe in larger than 16 inch logs (still debatable) but is the fiskars super splitting axe noticeably better for splitting than the pro splitting I see that one is 4# and the other is 2&1/4# but is there much difference

You do want to go with the Super Splitting Axe.

The difference is just what you noted...the weight. I have both, and I love them. In my case, I'm working almost exclusively with softwoods, so the lighter of the two is my real work horse. When I come across something unusually stubborn, or I'm lucky enough to acquire some oak or madrone, I'll pull out the heavy gun. I'm old, so I really appreciate how well these tools work considering how lightweight they are. So...depends on what you're splitting. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.