Fiskars X-series Axes and Striking -- they're X-treme!! (new 36" Splitter too)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought some Fiskars lopers and HD. They have like 7 different kinds. I got the high end rachet ones. It is impressive that they all have lifetime warranties. You do not see that too often anymore. I do like the Fiskars.

I know a few all ready Fiskars users that will be pleased with new longer handled version.

Wow its finally here! But wait... I dont see it for sale anywhere yet lol.

looks like they have gotten rid of the 2.25lb pro splitting axe w/ the 28" handle. That's a shame.
Guess I'll buy a spare one when the old ones go on clearance.

Looks like the same head on the 28 and the 36 inch handle'd splitters.

Once you learn how to use the 28" inch handle on an elevated surface, there's no reason to have a longer handle.
There is less control, and it's more work (leverage is greater) with no real tangible benefit except mental.

if my super splitter has an..um...accident(?) would they replace it with an X25 or an X27? I'm guessing the X25, wonder if they'd let me pay the difference.

jlove1974 said:
Once you learn how to use the 28" inch handle on an elevated surface, there's no reason to have a longer handle.
There is less control, and it's more work (leverage is greater) with no real tangible benefit except mental.
I disagree. I think that there is a safety issue here, too. Also, any extra umph I can get with it will be nice, because i'm not finding it quite as capable as some other people are claiming. the extra length should help a bit, I imagine. You can call that a mental benefit, if you like, as long as it works better for me.

Roscoe Picco Chain said:
http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Yard-and-Garden/Axes-and-Striking

I'm interested in the X36: the long awaited long-handle version of the Super Splitter...

You mean the X27??

BTW, I really like the improved head design with the beveled edges. I think that will help with the problem of my SS getting stuck in wood if it penetrates beyond the top edge of the flares.

CountryBoy19 said:
Roscoe Picco Chain said:
http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Yard-and-Garden/Axes-and-Striking

I'm interested in the X36: the long awaited long-handle version of the Super Splitter...

You mean the X27??

Yes I do! But if they come out with an X36, I'll be all over that one too!

One thing I wonder... are they still "made in Finland"?

I went to the website from the link provided in the initial post and got into a chat with a Fiskars rep.

She told me that while it's not available yet that it should be in January, likely with Amazon as their first vendor.

She also said the MSRP would be $54.99 (which would be great).

(Interestingly, she was located in Wisconsin. I would have thought Sweden or Norway or something like that.)

ETA - It's the X27 that has the 36" handle. There is no X36.

Spikem said:
I went to the website from the link provided in the initial post and got into a chat with a Fiskars rep.

She told me that while it's not available yet that it should be in January, likely with Amazon as their first vendor.

She also said the MSRP would be $54.99 (which would be great).

(Interestingly, she was located in Wisconsin. I would have thought Sweden or Norway or something like that.)

ETA - It's the X27 that has the 36" handle. There is no X36.

Fiskars has their US headquarters in Wisconsin IIRC, that would be why you talked to a person there.

jlove1974 said:
looks like they have gotten rid of the 2.25lb pro splitting axe w/ the 28" handle. That's a shame.
Guess I'll buy a spare one when the old ones go on clearance.

Looks like the same head on the 28 and the 36 inch handle'd splitters.

Jlove, I certainly do not wish to bash nor do I want to come across as being too critical. But, lifting every piece up onto a raised surface just increases the amount of work one has to do. I try not to be lazy but don't particularly like making more work for myself.

On the control issue, I do definitely disagree. I've found better contol from the longer handles and the longer handles actually make your work easier. Nothing mental there, just what I've found over the years with experience.

Jeff S said:
I know a few all ready Fiskars users that will be pleased with new longer handled version.

The only people that gripe about the short handle are the people who haven't actually used one.

Anyone know how much the X27 head weighs? I was hoping weight would be slightly higher - maybe close to #6. Is it still #4.5?

Bigg_Redd said:
Jeff S said:

The only people that gripe about the short handle are the people who haven't actually used one.

Bigg_Redd, I usually don't mind your posts and some are great, but this time I take issue with that post. Perhaps this time you are the one who doesn't know what he is talking about!

Backwoods Savage said:
Bigg_Redd said:
Jeff S said:

Bigg_Redd, I usually don't mind your posts and some are great, but this time I take issue with that post. Perhaps this time you are the one who doesn't know what he is talking about!

Not for nuthin' but ain't that a picture of you running a hydraulic splitter? Do you even have a dog in this fight? When was the last time you cut a cord of wood by hand?

Bigg_Redd, I do not wish to get into any peeing contests so won't answer this again. I will just say that yes, you apparently have good eyes because that is me with the hydraulic splitter. However, I have burned wood a tad longer than since I purchased the splitter. Probably split more by hand than you will ever even think about. End of rant. Carry on.

Bigg_Redd said:
Jeff S said:

I would bet this is not the case.

I have one and, while it's an excellent tool, I don't like the short handle. The four (or so) people I have had try mine all had the same viewpoint.

Bigg_Redd said:
Jeff S said:

I have one and the short handle sucks. The only people who gripe about people who gripe about the short handles are people who probably don't know how to split wood efficiently anyway. (Just ribbin' you, Redddddd)

Where can you buy these fiskars splitters at. I would like to give one to my dad for christmas since he is still using his old maul unless I am around and he picks up my true temper super wood splitter. I really like mine btw but will always try something new if it works better.
049206121706lg.jpg

Murph015 said:
Where can you buy these fiskars splitters at. I would like to give one to my dad for christmas since he is still using his old maul unless I am around and he picks up my true temper super wood splitter. I really like mine btw but will always try something new if it works better.
049206121706lg.jpg

I have one...Lowes

Ya I got mine at lowes, you better not be standing to the side of my splits within a 6 foot area because this thing throws the wood when it goes through it. I don't know if the fiskars is any better but I would like to get one for my dad. Anyone know how to find out where they are sold at?

I have the Fiskar's Super Splitter. I really like it a lot. Does great work. But, I think it would be safer and more efficient to have a longer handle, so I would be keen on trying the X-27.

Status
Not open for further replies.