Fiskars x25 splitting axe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Love it I have the 25. More post will follow.

I have the 27... I like it more every time I use it. the X25 sounded too short to me.

Love(d) the 25. Worked fine other than watch those toes if you are tall.

I received the x27 as a gift and now only use the 25 when one of the guys splitting wood with me forgets their axe.

If it's already ordered, you'll do fine w/ it. If you are over 5ft 10, and can re-order, I'd get the x27.

pen

Worked fine other than watch those toes if you are tall.

+1

Speaking from experience here, glad I had the steel toes on!

You almost need to re learn the art of splitting. The Fiskars splits quite effortlessly, so you need to back off on your swing. At least for me.

One sweet tool.

KC

Had my X25 since late May & I love it.Thinking about getting the X27 eventually.

Bought a Super Splitter awhile back (predecessor to the X25), didn't even take it out of the package because I knew it was too short for me to use comfortably.

Got an X27 and I'm definitely happier with the extra 10" in length. My toes and ankles are too.

Jack Wagon said:
ok tried it and.....almost took a toe out on the first swing. After that though the cherry rounds split really fast. I probably did twice what I would've with the 8lb maul.

It's something isn't it. I bought mine figuring I'd be able to prove all the "followers" wrong. I have an 8lb maul that works great. Well, I think it still does, I haven't thought of grabbing it since sometime this spring.

Whoever designed this thing deserved a nobel prize in physics or something.

pen

Jack Wagon said:
...almost took a toe out on the first swing.

Yes, we must be careful. With the original SSA, I ended up with 3 stitches in my left foot after the first day of using it. Got me right above the steel toe in my boot.

TreePointer said:
Jack Wagon said:
...almost took a toe out on the first swing.

Yes, we must be careful. With the original SSA, I ended up with 3 stitches in my left foot after the first day of using it. Got me right above the steel toe in my boot.

People hear us say stuff like this and want to believe it's a problem with form or inexperience. Let me tell you, I've been swinging an axe of some sort since I was about 12 and this is the first one to ever catch me off guard like that (also the shortest handled one I've ever used).

Just not used to having an axe that size go through wood so easily. The only cut in my boots I have wasn't from swinging, but from setting the axe head down the wrong way and bending / reaching for a piece of wood. Apparently I drug my toe into the axe and sliced the boot. Things things sharpen up like razors.

pen

pen said:
People hear us say stuff like this and want to believe it's a problem with form or inexperience. Let me tell you, I've been swinging an axe of some sort since I was about 12 and this is the first one to ever catch me off guard like that (also the shortest handled one I've ever used).

Just not used to having an axe that size go through wood so easily. The only cut in my boots I have wasn't from swinging, but from setting the axe head down the wrong way and bending / reaching for a piece of wood. Apparently I drug my toe into the axe and sliced the boot. Things things sharpen up like razors.

pen

Amen!

I had been using various axes and saws for over 25 years at the time. I learned mostly good technique from family and neighbors, and I refined a few things through Boy Scouts and the pro loggers and arborists I've met over the years. I had used shorter chopping axes and longer, heavier splitting mauls, and they take different swings. My problem was a momentary lack of concentration at the end of the day when I was tired (the SSA was sitting in a box on the back porch after I came in form cutting the fields and I just had to try it). I reverted to my big maul swing instead of my shorter chopping axe swing. Doh!

If a person has been swing a longer 6-8lb. maul for years, it's sometimes difficult to train the brain and muscles to use a shorter axe swing. The SSA is tricky at first because it feels like a maul with most of its weight at the head, so I want to swing it like a heavy maul. Ya' just can't do that with this splitting axe.

The 36" X27 allows me to take those bigger swings.

I have the X25 and have no problems mind you I'm only 5'6.If you're 6'0 or taller I can see wanting a longer handle.Perhaps try using a taller splitting block.

Status
Not open for further replies.