Fiskars X25

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RORY12553

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2011
Southern NY
Got a Fiskars X25 after reading about it on here and on Fiskars website. Tried it out on some oak, cedar and red oak. Some of it was gnarly and had knots in it. Stuff that didn't have knots in it I still had trouble with. It would get stuck numerous times, wouldn't go completely through. Is it that it's not sharp enough? My form? Is the Fiskars X27 different than the 25?

27 is longer than the 25 if i recall correctly.

I have a 25, works fine for an axe.
If it's straight it plows right through anything I've tried so far (no elm). Usually I just use the splitter though... Axe is good for when I'm not home.
Might need to use a maul/wedges if you're splitting big stuff. the 25 is pretty lightweight imo... but is great for what I use it for.

Bought my X25 last May & I love it.Until then for most of 30 yrs I used the old 15lb Monster Maul 90% of the time.It was getting too much to swing on a regular basis as I got older.Occasionally I'd use the old Plumb 5lb double bit.Most what I cut (probably 70% ) is dead Red/Black Oak,the remainder dead White/Bur Oak & a little Shagbark Hickory,Mulberry,Elm,Silver Maple.

It works great on 90% of what I'm cutting,most everything under 18" diameter it just flies through,havent had to use the big maul or sledge/wedges since last June.Only the rare one with large knots and/or spiral/twisted grain gets laid aside for that.I did try splitting some dead 12" to 15" White Elm 2 weeks ago,gonna have to get out the sledge/wedges,big maul or saw a starter groove in the end grain first.That X25 would only go in 3-4 inches max,then stop.

When finances allow,gonna grab an X27 & a couple other things in the future.

Hass said:
27 is longer than the 25 if i recall correctly.

I have a 25, works fine for an axe.
If it's straight it plows right through anything I've tried so far (no elm). Usually I just use the splitter though... Axe is good for when I'm not home.
Might need to use a maul/wedges if you're splitting big stuff. the 25 is pretty lightweight imo... but is great for what I use it for.

X25 & 27 have the same weight of heads,only difference in total weight is because of X27's longer handle.

I have not had any issues with my X25. I mostly only use it, if I'm splitting on top of another log though. If I'm just splitting them on ground level, I use the longer handled X27. That said, maybe this is your problem. How tall are you? I'm 5' 10" and can't imagine splitting on ground level with the 25.

Do you have much experience splitting wood w/ an axe or a maul? If so, then how does it compare to your other tools? If not, you probably just need some practice.

pen

perchin said:
I have not had any issues with my X25. I mostly only use it, if I'm splitting on top of another log though. If I'm just splitting them on ground level, I use the longer handled X27. That said, maybe this is your problem. How tall are you? I'm 5' 10" and can't imagine splitting on ground level with the 25.

Mix of both on the ground and on top of a block. Think that is part of my issue that i'm 5'10" also and was using a 36" handle before. Partly has to do with practice also. Have some curvy grain wood along with some knots that i will just break out the small electric splitter I have. Maybe I just expect to much.

Another thing could be the way I am splitting some of the larger rounds. Should I work around the outside instead of splitting it down the middle?

RORY12553 said:
Another thing could be the way I am splitting some of the larger rounds. Should I work around the outside instead of splitting it down the middle?

Absolutely!

Also, when trying to split something down the middle, Don't aim for the middle of the log, aim more towards the outside edge and let leverage help you.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.