Fiskars X25

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RORY12553

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2011
Southern NY
I have read a lot of posts about Fiskars so I bought the X25. I have sharpened it numerous times and still don't know what i'm doing wrong. Anybody have any technique videos or anything so I can resolve my problem. I have an 8lb maul but would prefer to use the lighter tool. Even with the 8lb maul I don't think the head shape is right and probably should buy a file or grinder to cut it down.

What kind of wood are you struggling with?

Are you stricking the rounds right in the middle or towards the outside?

Are you allowing your hand nearest the head to slide down to meet or nearly meet your other hand at the point of impact?

Are you using a splitting block? Have you tried splitting blocks (a block of wood under the one you are trying to split) of different heights?

Are you lifting the axe or maul up infront of your body then dropping it? Or are you moving it to your side then behind your head and swinging down?

If you really want, get someone to video you splitting wood and the folks here can analyze your swing, or else watch some you-tube videos of folks being successful while splitting and see what they are doing compared to your own technique.

pen

pen said:
What kind of wood are you struggling with?

Are you stricking the rounds right in the middle or towards the outside?

Are you allowing your hand nearest the head to slide down to meet or nearly meet your other hand at the point of impact?

Are you using a splitting block? Have you tried splitting blocks (a block of wood under the one you are trying to split) of different heights?

Are you lifting the axe or maul up infront of your body then dropping it? Or are you moving it to your side then behind your head and swinging down?

If you really want, get someone to video you splitting wood and the folks here can analyze your swing, or else watch some you-tube videos of folks being successful while splitting and see what they are doing compared to your own technique.

pen

What kind of wood are you struggling with? have oak rounds which some are fresh and some have been sitting for a year

Are you stricking the rounds right in the middle or towards the outside? Tried both seems to get stuck at times

Are you allowing your hand nearest the head to slide down to meet or nearly meet your other hand at the point of impact? Yes

Are you using a splitting block? Have you tried splitting blocks (a block of wood under the one you are trying to split) of different heights? Have splitting block that is about 2 ft off the ground...can use a higher one but to lift some of the rounds would be tough

Are you lifting the axe or maul up infront of your body then dropping it? Or are you moving it to your side then behind your head and swinging down? Would say its up above my head

Sometimes even good technique meets rough wood. I spent one entire year of splitting with nothing but a 10lb sledge and 3 wedges. Split up about 8 cords of the nastiest beech I had ever had the opportunity to work with. Thought it was going to kill me and never touched an axe or even an 8lb maul that entire year as I couldn't get them to touch what I had to work with. Thank god I haven't had much that bad since.

If you are honestly putting some @$$ behind your swings, and you compare what you are doing to what you are seeing on random youtube vids where you see success, then you've just got a batch of some mean wood. Nothing but equal determination in being stubborn and not giving up will match it.

Also remember, most youtube videos don't show you the hard times, people like to share things when they seem to being going really well.

Here's one of a guy really getting into his swings and still having some trouble.

pen

pen said:
Sometimes even good technique meets rough wood. I spent one entire year of splitting with nothing but a 10lb sledge and 3 wedges. Split up about 8 cords of the nastiest beech I had ever had the opportunity to work with. Thought it was going to kill me and never touched an axe or even an 8lb maul that entire year as I couldn't get them to touch what I had to work with. Thank god I haven't had much that bad since.

If you are honestly putting some @$$ behind your swings, and you compare what you are doing to what you are seeing on random youtube vids where you see success, then you've just got a batch of some mean wood. Nothing but equal determination in being stubborn and not giving up will match it.

Also remember, most youtube videos don't show you the hard times, people like to share things when they seem to being going really well.

Here's one of a guy really getting into his swings and still having some trouble.

pen

Thanks i greatly appreciate it. Find it gives me the most problems on those that aren't straight grained or had a limb growing out of it. Started creating a pile of those and it is getting bigger by the day!

RORY12553 said:
Thanks i greatly appreciate it. Find it gives me the most problems on those that aren't straight grained or had a limb growing out of it. Started creating a pile of those and it is getting bigger by the day!

Yep, sometimes it's best to put them to the side and try them out another day. Work on the stuff you can split to get it drying and keep the morale up. Then when it's just you and the nasty ones it's showdown time.

For those stubborn pieces sometimes just rotating them 30, 45, or 90 degrees from the angle you were trying can make the difference. Somtimes trying to take the outside edges off of a large piece rather than going right through the center can help you make headway. Sometimes it's as simple as just needed to turn the log over and give it a go from the other side.

One time I had all of my wedges burried in a log and ended up even getting the head of the maul (forgot the sledge so had to use the maul to drive the wedges that day) stuck in it too. I had my self worked right up into a froth and was soooo furious that had my buddy been 5 minutes later in showing up he'd have seen a fire burning. When he did come (it was his sledge I needed) I was collecting tinder and kindling and was about to burn that sob log right there to get my equipment back. Man was I angry.

I'd like to think I've gained a lot more patience since then :lol:

pen

Never tried the X25. I just have an X15. I'm kind of surprised that you've had to sharpen it a couple of times. I've probably split 10 cords with my X-15 and it still has a good edge (although probably could use a sharpening). Like Pen said, you can try striking both ends of the round. With the uglies, I try to split 1/3 to 1/2 of the main trunk off of the side opposite where the branch grew out. I will then split the remainder cutting where the branch was in half. You can also try this from both sides of the round. If the round is small enough, you can embed the axe in the round and then swing the whole mess (axe and round) and have it land on the splitting block on the back side of the axe or the poll. This will allow the weight of the round to split itself and ensures the axe continues to split along the same line. You can also embed the axe in the round and then pick up the whole thing by the round and drop it on your splitting block which also uses the weight of the round to split itself. This book has some info on page 20-21. http://www.grandforest.us/TheAxeBook.pdf The video that Pen posted reminds me of the difference between the golf swing of a football player and a pro golfer. A football player can swing a lot harder, but the ball just doesn't go where it's supposed to whereas a pro golfer can make what looks like a nice easy swing and drive a ball 300 yards.

With my X25 anything over about 14-16" in diameter, I use wedges to get the big round into at least a half. Then my Fiskars X25 really shines. Try to aim for the near edge to the wood your striking, and it should go.......mostly.

I deal with gnarly ash, with lots of knots and such. It's hard when compared to the guys that post videos of them ripping thru straight grained wood with no knots or branches. Often times I'd like to invite them to my area!!

I wish I'd known about the Fiskars years ago when I was splitting wood at the P's house with nothing but wedges and sledges!!

dorkweed said:
With my X25 anything over about 14-16" in diameter, I use wedges to get the big round into at least a half. Then my Fiskars X25 really shines. Try to aim for the near edge to the wood your striking, and it should go.......mostly.

I deal with gnarly ash, with lots of knots and such. It's hard when compared to the guys that post videos of them ripping thru straight grained wood with no knots or branches. Often times I'd like to invite them to my area!!

I wish I'd known about the Fiskars years ago when I was splitting wood at the P's house with nothing but wedges and sledges!!

I know what you mean about gnarly stuff...some stuff is straight but that is usually the base of any tree..tough once you get to the upper parts where the limbs come out etc...I find a maul works better than wedges and a sledge...need to use the fiskars like the maul in those situations and peel away the outside rather than splitting down the middle

RORY12553 said:
Are you using a splitting block? Have you tried splitting blocks (a block of wood under the one you are trying to split) of different heights? Have splitting block that is about 2 ft off the ground...can use a higher one but to lift some of the rounds would be tough

Great advice from Pen, but unless you're very tall, a 2 ft. chopping block seems way too high to me. I use a 12"-15" block and that allows another foot of swing more than your set-up to power down into the wood.

Might start a whole new argument going on that one. :)

naptime said:
RORY12553 said:

Great advice from Pen, but unless you're very tall, a 2 ft. chopping block seems way too high to me. I use a 12"-15" block and that allows another foot of swing more than your set-up to power down into the wood.

Might start a whole new argument going on that one. :)

I have been using a block for a while on sunday...trying to make work easier but some of the gnarly stuff i have is going to go into the bonfire during the summer!

Lots of great tips and advice here. I have found that the effort to make the first split with a wedge and sledge on a large or tough round is almost ALWAYS less than pounding away a dozen times with a maul or splitting axe like a Fiskars. Once I get the grain broken, my Fiskars really shines.

Status
Not open for further replies.