Fiskars X27 versus 375841-1001

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DonTee

Minister of Fire
Dec 1, 2021
Upstate NY
I want to get a new splitting axe. At Home Depot they have the X27, but at Lowe’s they have another Fiskars with similar specs. It’s P/N 375841-1001. Has anyone compared the two?
I prefer to shop at Lowe’s because it’s more convenient, but if the X27 is a better axe I can make a trip to HD.
I’d like to buy in store and not online.

Pics of the two

5F4ACC4B-E867-4B7A-8E18-53D2F6216614.jpeg B38C8ABC-999B-4CCB-BB7B-92900E08632B.jpeg

I think the X27 is 375841-1004
But I have no clue what the difference is as they look identical to me (except for some coloring)

The Fiskars site lacks the specs for the X27, but at HD is shows the X27 as having a 36” handle and 37 3/4” total length.

The specs for the other one shows a 36” total length including the head.

Also the X27 is about 1/4 lbs heavier.

The differences might just be the way the specs are written. They might have the same exact dimensions

I think the two are probably very similar to use. Just curious if anyone has this Lowe’s sold version

Last edited:
Reactions: stoveliker
This is what I’ve been using. The wood handle maul weighs over 8 lbs. and the other axe doesn’t have a good head shape for splitting.
I’ve had that Fiskars forever, and it’s been a really good axe. That’s why I’m looking at a splitting axe from them.

47627BEE-A4D0-4393-9EA1-87F2CCE9508F.jpeg

I found some threads about these axes on hearth and some other forums. Most people think the black version is just the X27 with a different grip on the handle. There weren’t any complaints about the quality of the black version.

Anyways I sent Fiskars an email asking for clarification.

And in the meantime I bought a black one from Lowe’s to play around with. It’s different than my heavier maul for sure. It’s lighter and easier to swing. I can do the same damage with a little less effort.

But pieces of wood that are twisted or otherwise hard to split are still hard to split. I doubt I’ll be able to split anything with the Fiskars that I couldn’t split with my old maul. And that’s why I have a Hyd splitter also :)

I found some threads about these axes on hearth and some other forums. Most people think the black version is just the X27 with a different grip on the handle. There weren’t any complaints about the quality of the black version.

Anyways I sent Fiskars an email asking for clarification.

And in the meantime I bought a black one from Lowe’s to play around with. It’s different than my heavier maul for sure. It’s lighter and easier to swing. I can do the same damage with a little less effort.

But pieces of wood that are twisted or otherwise hard to split are still hard to split. I doubt I’ll be able to split anything with the Fiskars that I couldn’t split with my old maul. And that’s why I have a Hyd splitter also :)
Are you splitting multiple rounds in a tire set on a large round? If not.... you should try it! Super time saver in my experience.
I've got 2x x27's a x25 and there hatchet. The rest of my splitting tools don't get much use. Except the hydraulic splitter.

@moresnow
What is the tire set up? I’ve seen pics online where people will set the chunk of wood in the middle of a unmounted tire. Is that what you’re talking about?

Also, I got an email back from Fiskars. They said

“The difference in the two models will come in the handle of the axe. The X series will have slightly better shock absorbing chamber and grip”

So basically it sounds like the black version has the same head weight and handle length as the X27. I’m going to keep it. It splits nice, and still has the lifetime warranty.

Regarding the tire; yes, so the splits don't fall on the ground. Another way to do this is to have a bungee cord around the piece to be split (low enough so you won't hit it with the axe).

@moresnow
What is the tire set up? I’ve seen pics online where people will set the chunk of wood in the middle of a unmounted tire. Is that what you’re talking about?

Also, I got an email back from Fiskars. They said

“The difference in the two models will come in the handle of the axe. The X series will have slightly better shock absorbing chamber and grip”

So basically it sounds like the black version has the same head weight and handle length as the X27. I’m going to keep it. It splits nice, and still has the lifetime warranty.
I have used a few old 15" tires leftover from a soccer mom van I used to drive:eek: I have a few large diameter Maple rounds placed strategically where I split.
Sooo. Lay the old tire on the large round and fill the tire with a couple rounds that need splitting. Swing away until the rounds are reduced to your favorite size split. Remove the splits and load another few rounds in the tire. Repeat. The advantage is that all your splits stay contained in the tire as you are splitting the rounds. Saves mucho time bending over picking up splits that fly all over if not using the tire method.
I've tried alternative methods as mentioned. Bungee's=quickly destroyed, ratchet straps end up destroyed as well. A old tire is almost indestructible! Give it a try and let us know how it works for ya. Have fun.

Ok thanks for the explanation. I’ll try it out! I have tires from 12” wheels all the way up to 22.5” wheels.

Reactions: moresnow
I was browsing on Amazon today. Since I was looking at splitters a couple days ago it’s still showing me splitters. Something that popped up was a Gransfors Bruk splitting maul. For over 300$!

I’m very happy with my Fiskars, and am not considering another maul. But do people actually pay 312$ for a splitting maul?

I feel like paying 60$ for the Fiskars is paying a premium. Considering you can get a maul for about half that price.

I agree; it's like Tesla or Iphones. I don't buy them either as having the name on the piece doubles the price. Yes, they are good things. But no, they are not worth what is being asked to pay.

Reactions: moresnow
I agree; it's like Tesla or Iphones. I don't buy them either as having the name on the piece doubles the price. Yes, they are good things. But no, they are not worth what is being asked to pay.
Might I recommend a short cruise in a Tesla;)

Lol yes. But you’re paying for the “faster than a Lamborghini in the 1/4 mile” performance of a Tesla, versus other EV’s.

Might I recommend a short cruise in a Tesla;)

Sure, it's great. But not worth the price they ask. (Remember, I drive a small ICE, my only new car I ever had, 11k$, 40-41 mpg -because I drive like n old fart-, in which I've hauled doors, all wood of my woodshed except for the 4*8 roof sheathing, etc.)

What's the use anyway to accelerate to 60 in 4 secs.

I live by the tire method, if you dont have any tires go to your local shop and ask for one, they will be more then happy to give you one, try for a 20" i find I can split by hand faster then the splitter so i usually do all my straight grain smaller stuff by hand and save the bigger knotty stuff for hydros which saves time in the long run, plus splitting by hand has improved my golf game with better grip and more strength.

Reactions: salecker
I’m also a member over on a HiFi audio forum. There have been quite a few heated debates about ICE vs EV cars recently. Why they debate that on an audio forum, I don’t know. But people are pretty fired up about it.

I usually split with my piece being split on top of another round. So it brings it up 16-18” off the ground. I was thinking how I can split with the tire and still keep my piece up off the ground. Maybe put 3 rounds in a triangle on the ground and set the tire on those. Then the piece being split would be stable in the middle?

I have the biggest oak round I ever had that I leave as a chopping block. (Store it on its side on a cinder block off the ground to keep it good). I could fit two 20" tired on there...

I usually don’t cut/split stuff that big. I only cut down smaller healthy trees. Sometimes a bigger tree will get blown down in a storm, or now that EAB is hitting here it’s killing some bigger ash.
Just tonight I split the biggest piece of wood I had. It happened to be red oak. But it was only around 24” diameter. A chunk of oak that big weighs a ton, which is usually why I avoid the big trees.

Maybe I can find myself a big chunk and keep it for a chopping block. I just built a woodshed, so now my splitting area is more fixed than it has been in the past.

Typically the trees I cut down are around 10-12” diameter. I can split it twice per round and be done. With EAB giving me bigger trees I need to gear up for splitting them. I need to get that tire setup going for sure.

Honestly for some of those trees I might need a bigger bar for my chainsaw. Haha. I have a 20” bar on my Husky 455. My dad has a Stihl 044 I could probably put a 24” bar on. I think my Husky would be a dog with a 24” bar.

I usually split with my piece being split on top of another round. So it brings it up 16-18” off the ground. I was thinking how I can split with the tire and still keep my piece up off the ground. Maybe put 3 rounds in a triangle on the ground and set the tire on those. Then the piece being split would be stable in the middle?
I attached a low profile tire to the top of a large round with screws been holding for years.

I use the tire method as well and recommend it to anyone that splits by hand, either with a big maul or with a splitting axe like a fiskers (which I do have and absolutely love).
I used my fiskers yesterday to split about 1/2 cord of ash that I bucked and stacked in my woods last fall. I split it on the ground before I loaded it on the wagon. My 8lb maul would have just pounded the rounds into the ground. The fiskers being a splitting axe, it chopped through very efficiently. Another benefit.

I’ve already split about a cord with my Fiskars. It’s a great axe.

I had always used a regular splitting maul until my uncle got a splitting axe. I think his is a Collins brand. Once I tried that I was hooked. And the Fiskars is even better.