Fit a real cord in 8' pick up bed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it's on craigslist so it must be true!

I suppose if it was really light - like fir or pine and you stacked it really carefully...or if it was a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. Seems like most 1/2 ton trucks run out of cargo capacity before running out of space when hauling 'good' dense wood like oak, hickory, hedge, etc.

"did you know you cant fit a real cord of split fire wood on an 8' pick up bed without extensin sides" He is right you cant get a full cord on a 8 ft pickup truck with out side extensin!

smokinj said:
"did you know you cant fit a real cord of split fire wood on an 8' pick up bed without extensin sides" He is right you cant get a full cord on a 8 ft pickup truck with out side extensin!

My bad, this could legit.

I'm going back to caffeinated coffee.

I bet I could stack a half cord of wood on an eight foot bed without side extensions.
You wouldn't be able to go anywhere and you might not like what your truck looks like.

$20.00 to split a cord of wood is not such a bad deal. I wonder if he'll stop by and do mine. :)
I might even give him some clarifying apostrophies, free.

Sounds like he's tired of arguing with rocket scientists about trying to do it in one trip.

billb3 said:
I bet I could stack a half cord of wood on an eight foot bed without side extensions.
You wouldn't be able to go anywhere and you might not like what your truck looks like.

$20.00 to split a cord of wood is not such a bad deal. I wonder if he'll stop by and do mine. :)
I might even give him some clarifying apostrophies, free.

Sounds like he's tired of arguing with rocket scientists about trying to do it in one trip.
I was thinking he was trying to get the custmers that knows whats up! And the one who have been burnt on a cord of wood

I remember getting close to a full cord of slabs into a '78 Chevy Suburban. Well, almost "into" it, some of it stuck out 2 feet beyond the tailgate ;-)
And yes, the steering was light.

Most half ton trucks today would look sick with 3000+ pounds in the bed.

Ken

The guy is probably tired of other people that claim to dieliver a cord in one trip only to have it actually be a face cord. I think he's saying that his cord is a "Real" cord, not some marketing trick.

Ken45 said:
I remember getting close to a full cord of slabs into a '78 Chevy Suburban. Well, almost "into" it, some of it stuck out 2 feet beyond the tailgate ;-)
And yes, the steering was light.

Most half ton trucks today would look sick with 3000+ pounds in the bed.

Ken

Yea, that's 3000+ of dry wood. A cord of wet is closer to 5000 - 6000 depending on the species.

I suppose your '78 Suburban was a half ton. That's pretty impressive. Now I know what my 1/2 Silverado will carry without air shocks. I put some on my '83 Toyota 4x4 (20R engine) and it made a world of difference.

I have to warn you about those Chevy Suburbans though. The differentials blow under heavy tow load. I blew out mine last summer hauling 4000lb of wet concrete up to my well drill site in a trailer mixer. What I mean by "blow" is that the gears strip. It was a '92 with 170K miles on it. It would have cost me $2500 to replace so I sold it to my mechanic for $600. He thought it was a steal (which it was).

I have 1' side racks for my Dodge 3500. The bed wall is 18" so if I stacked it level to the top of the racks I'd have 120 sq ft, just short of a cord, on board. O'f course I mound the wood to just over the cab so I'm well over 1 cord per load. I'd use taller racks but I just don't want to work that hard. Doollees are great.

Bigg_Redd said:
Doollees are great.

Agreed, except in parking lots ;-)

I've had two ton of pellets in mine and it handled it fine. It pulls a 12000# horse trailer like it's hardly there.

Ken

Pulled up to a guy that had a Dodge 1500 while I have my 2500. His was squating beyond belief with only about over the sides. Mine was a pretty good load of rounds. Had to smile with the purchase of the 3/4 ton. If it was for my wife, I'd have the 1500 (cousin bought one, good enough for him...), but she did save herself and found me this one for a steal!!!
Man I love her...
Chad

Status
Not open for further replies.