Fit more than usual this way

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stelcom66

Minister of Fire
Nov 6, 2014
Connecticut
Got this from an unlikely source - a metal recycling company. I noticed the boxes when I brought metal there from our company, went back this weekend. The guy with the forklift couldn't quite get the second box in all the way so I left the tailgate down. Most of the wood needs to be split again but it splits easily.

G&S wood1.jpg

Reactions: Gearhead660
We used to use kickers like those with plastic pallet bottoms in Afghanistan and they held up well to repeated use, as long as they didn't get rained on. Do you have a dry place to store them?

That's got to be some serious weight, how'd the truck drive?

Nice score! I recently responded to a ad from a plastics company....they make their own shipping pallets and as a result they have a lot of cut off material in the way of slats and 2x4s .....its 90% oak! I love it! They used the same containers as you have pictured...I took my trailer and brought 4 of them home..

How about a pic the the treasure, not the chest.

Unfortunately when I tilted both boxes with some wood still in it the bottoms broke, so I had to cut them to fit in the recycle bin. Still have the second one to do, of course not normal cardboard, wicked thick! I wonder if it would be bad to burn the pieces? It will take a long time to dispose of it in the recycle bin, and it took a long time to break and cut the one box down.

Surprisingly the truck handled pretty well. Definitely felt lower than usual in the back. My truck has the off-road package, while just a half ton it has bigger tires, stiffer springs and the next largest V8 engine from the base 1500.

I did pay for this - price on the box said $65, the guy let me have them for $60 each. Too dark now for pictures, will make a note to do that tomorrow.

I think my frontier suspension would explode!

If I had to consolidate my old car and truck to one vehicle I would consider a Frontier. I've seen many good reviews for that truck. And
it's one of the very few that can have a manual transmission with 4WD, along with the Toyota Tacoma.

Nice score! I recently responded to a ad from a plastics company....they make their own shipping pallets and as a result they have a lot of cut off material in the way of slats and 2x4s .....its 90% oak! I love it! They used the same containers as you have pictured...I took my trailer and brought 4 of them home..

90% oak is a nice score! There's usually free pallets in the industrial park area near the office. I've picked some up but I think they're pine.
Still worth getting though.

Unfortunately when I tilted both boxes with some wood still in it the bottoms broke, so I had to cut them to fit in the recycle bin. Still have the second one to do, of course not normal cardboard, wicked thick! I wonder if it would be bad to burn the pieces? It will take a long time to dispose of it in the recycle bin, and it took a long time to break and cut the one box down.

Surprisingly the truck handled pretty well. Definitely felt lower than usual in the back. My truck has the off-road package, while just a half ton it has bigger tires, stiffer springs and the next largest V8 engine from the base 1500.

I did pay for this - price on the box said $65, the guy let me have them for $60 each. Too dark now for pictures, will make a note to do that tomorrow.
Those boxes are wicked thick! Started off with a hatchet and then ended up using a circular saw!The stuff I got was free ...they collect it till the storage area is full then they run a ad on Facebook to get rid of it once or twice a year...I got his cell number and stay in touch! lol

Reactions: SpaceBus
When I was in the army sometimes we had bins made of a corrugated plastic, those lasted forever.

Those boxes are wicked thick! Started off with a hatchet and then ended up using a circular saw!The stuff I got was free ...they collect it till the storage area is full then they run a ad on Facebook to get rid of it once or twice a year...I got his cell number and stay in touch! lol

I was considering using a circular saw, but I was thinking... for cardboard, naa - but I guess it's really not a bad idea! That's great yours was free, especially wood like that. I will check FB at times, sometimes there's a decent free posting or 2.

Plastic containers would make more sense for the wood. Here's some directly from the box, I prefer them smaller so I'll split them at least once. They're really easy, like the tree I recently had taken down in my yard. One box was labelled May 2019, but it burns well, no hissing sound from moisture. The other box had no label but the wood appeared to be seasoned longer.

G&S wood not split.jpg

I was considering using a circular saw, but I was thinking... for cardboard, naa - but I guess it's really not a bad idea! That's great yours was free, especially wood like that. I will check FB at times, sometimes there's a decent free posting or 2.

Plastic containers would make more sense for the wood. Here's some directly from the box, I prefer them smaller so I'll split them at least once. They're really easy, like the tree I recently had taken down in my yard. One box was labelled May 2019, but it burns well, no hissing sound from moisture. The other box had no label but the wood appeared to be seasoned longer.

View attachment 256703
I like my wood that size or bigger...here lately I have been burning some Pin Oak and Ash from 2017/18 and I can only get 6 big pieces in my stove....I love it!.