Fitting a new stove to an old hole

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

unclebud

Jan 31, 2008
York, PA
I recently purchased and installed a used Breckwell P24 pellet stove. I didn't want to run the pipe up inside the house so i ran it straight out the wall and then up. Well, the stove didn't work so I sold it back to the guy. Now I am looking for another stove to install and have a bit of a dilemma. There are few stoves that have exhaust exits at the exact place as the Breckwell (pretty much only Breckwells, go figure). The pipe is about 17-18 inches from the floor and needs to enter the right side of the rear of the stove (as you're looking at the front of the stove).

My question is, is there any way around this? Filling the current hole and making a new one is not an option. I have found a stove (a Harman) and the exhaust for it exits about 6-7 inches from the floor and at the center of the rear of the stove. Can I fit the pipe with two connected 90 degree elbows to re-situate the pipe, or am I now bound to Breckwell? Based on the "Equivalent Pipe Lenght" estimator I found somewhere online, I currently have the equivalent of about 7.5 feet (2' horizontal, a t-joint, 5' vertical). With the elbows added and the two-foot pipe swapped with a one-foot, I would have just over 15 feet (if my calculations are correct) which I have read is too much for 3" pipe.

Thanks,
WB

Status
Not open for further replies.