Fitting replacement pellet stove to existing wall thimble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandybeachz

Jul 23, 2014
Michigan
Hello all. I currently have a St. Croix pellet stove. I'm looking at getting a Harman 43 for the automated features. However, I'm not looking to drill another hole in my house. The Harmon's vent is about 9" lower than where my St. Croix went out the wall (horizontal run). I'm wondering if I can get away with using two 45 elbows to gain that 9" to a horizontal run out of the house?

Thanks

Not a problem that I can think of. My pellet stove pipe in the basement goes up five feet to a 90 into the horizontal thimble. And then a 90 up to the sky.

Upon further measurements it looks like doing that 45"s would push the stove further into the room causing a walkway blockage. Plus I don't think the hearth is deep enough to accommodate for the extra space required by doing that set up. Now I'm back to either figuring out a way to fab in some sort of stand to get the stove up higher or drilling another hole and blocking off the old one.

Can you use (2) 90s or (1) tee & (1) 90? Either combo will still push the stove from the wall, but not as far as (2) 45s...

I thought about that too. My only problem is don't you still need a small section of vertical straight pipe to connect the two fittings (T and 90)? If that's the case then I would need a small section, and it appears that you can't really get custom sizes under 12" for piping.

I was wrong about one thing. The Harman measurements I got I think included the hopper. So I might still be in business. My hearth is a 40" from the wall at the deepest point. The P43 is 28.5 deep. But I think that measurement included the hopper.

The other problem I have is getting that height difference just right. The P43's rear vent height is 9", where my St Croix Lancaster (with legs) is 16.9". So as you can see I have 7.9" of vertical I need to accomplish.

You can offset the stove to one side or the other to allow you to use a 90, a 6" & another 90, as
it sits now, or you can build a riser. That riser needs to be either 7.9" to align the P43
with the thimble for a straight out run or just enough to allow the use of back-to-back 90s (2+")...

Unfortunately I can not offset the new stove. One, because the carpet is cut around the hearth pad and moving the stove would push it over the edge where the pad sits now. And two, my house is split with the stairs to the second story running up through the middle. So moving it one way would block that rooms walkway to the front of the stairs. If I can't get custome sized straight pipe then I'm thinking a riser might be my only option. I thought about building the existing pad up to gain that 7.9", but then again when we move some day I would like to leave the existing pad and put the st Croix back in and sell with the house. Would it be possible to fab a riser out of metal to set the stove on top of do you think?

Several vent manufacturers make a slip joint piece. I believe it's about 12" long but as chickenman says it can be easily cut shorter.
Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.