Fix for a small Flame??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Curve

Oct 13, 2012
Central, MA
I have a VistaFlame VF55 (same insides as the enviro M55). It's been up and running for over 2 weeks now. Sometimes after many hours on heat setting 2, the flame seems to die down a bit and barely reaches over the burn pot. 1 thing I found that seems to fix this is to raise the heat setting up 1 level for about 10 minutes. After I lower it back down, I have a nice strong flame with intense heat.
I hope this may help others with this same issue.....

hi curve.ive been using mwp and trebios to this point and neither one of those give me a flame that comes above the pot on heat #2.mine is running on a t-stat so i have it set to heat #4 and to this point it is heating the house nicely.i have some green team to go in next and i can see how they do.i believe that is what you are burning now so we will have something to compare to then.i burned a couple bags of somersets just for chitts and giggles to see what all the buzz is about and WOW.awsome flame and heat on heat #3 feed trim all the ways down to 1.i hope to be in you area on monday and if so i will bring the magna gauge to set your draft.peace.

hi curve.ive been using mwp and trebios to this point and neither one of those give me a flame that comes above the pot on heat #2.mine is running on a t-stat so i have it set to heat #4 and to this point it is heating the house nicely.i have some green team to go in next and i can see how they do.i believe that is what you are burning now so we will have something to compare to then.i burned a couple bags of somersets just for chitts and giggles to see what all the buzz is about and WOW.awsome flame and heat on heat #3 feed trim all the ways down to 1.i hope to be in you area on monday and if so i will bring the magna gauge to set your draft.peace.

yeah...I've been burning Greene Team. It gets way to warm in the house at heat level 3 at this time. I'm sure once the temps get below freezing on a daily basis I will be cranking this thing up.
Let me know if you will be by on Monday, I know you have fiddled around with the stove and it would be great to learn a little from you.

Where did you find the Somersets? I would love to grab some

If you want more heat (taller flame) on heat level 2 just increase the feed trim. The flame will be higher out of the burn pot. However, if you need feed trim 4 or 5 to make you happy, then I think the stove may be more efficient going to heat level 3 and turning the feed trim down to 1. That way you are moving more air thru the heat exchanger and not increasing the pellet feed by very much. The feed trim is a very effective adjustment on this stove. But, the combustion air trim is next to useless IMHO.

My M55 cast insert doesn't get much of a flame on heat level 1 and 2. I have the feed trim set on 1. The flame doesn't get over the burn pot at these settings, but the stove still puts out enough heat to keep my house in the 70s.

Where did you find the Somersets? I would love to grab some

Check Craiglist...... Forum member OMV (oldmountvernon) had an add for pellets for sale and sold some to Forum members.

I dont know his Somerset supply count. But he sold to several here. Corkman was one of them.

See the thread "Somersets have arrived" he bought a Truckload of them. May have some left. Then again. He may not.

IMHO the stove should not go out(burn out). A couple of things could cure the burn out issue. Once set you should be able to burn 24/7 with no burn out.

1.) Too much combustion air, You can reduce the trim a notch or 2.

2.) Increase the feed trim to add some extra fuel.

3.) Slide the adjustable auger plate up a little to allow more fuel.

4.) Use a denser pellet. Its basically like adding more fuel.

Now that its getting a bit colder, I'm using hi/lo with my stat to keep the house temps steady. It basically burns all night on low before calling for heat just before we awake. Getting the stove to burn 6-8 hours on low is a must for me.

lowes in quincy got a truck load in and i was lucky enough to score 2 ton @ $188.then i bought 3 more from OMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.