Fix or Replace Older Resolute Acclaim

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zootjs

Dec 5, 2010
Central MA
We have a VC Resolute Acclaim that came with our house. We bought the house in 2001, and it was a few years old then. I've read here that this model was redesigned for the better in 1994, bringing it from awful to good, and I think it's likely that ours predates that critical transition.

There were some loose chunks of I assume cast metal (or ceramic?) kicking around in there. Photos attached. I'm not exactly sure what they are, as they are so fragmented. My guess is the two "arch bricks." Then, there are a few fragments of I believe the Combustion package.

The question is, is this something I could buy replacement parts for and fix myself, or do I need to have it done somewhere? Or is it worth fixing? I understand that there was some sort or kit available for these that improved them. Should I try to get that?

I'm assuming that the stove is unsafe, and won't use it until this is resolved....

I appreciate your input.

--Jonathan

Attachments

• 2010_1205_Parts_lo.jpg
    2010_1205_Parts_lo.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 371
  • 2010_1205_Stove2_lo.jpg
    2010_1205_Stove2_lo.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 390
You can get parts online or from a dealer. That looks exactly like mine last spring. The parts are quite a few bucks. I went for a new stove with the tax rebate at the time and to get a change after 18 years.

I'd have to say it went from awful to better, but not great. It could cost several hundreds of dollars every 5-10 years to keep this stove running well, assuming parts are available. For that reason I would consider a new one and take the credit.

I have an older REsolute lll and LOVE it. How does that happen that it is in pieces? Hope it does not happen here. Love this thing. NOT great for overnight fire but then have not really tried hard, like get up early to reload etc and go to bed at 10 or so so that would be 8 hrs. I think about 4 hrs with full load but with red hot embers left to start a new fire. It is 25 out and 70 degrees in Cape type of house or actually 70 in 12x20 room where stove is and the rest of the house is about 64 degrees (not upstairs where we shut the doors and keep heat down to 55.

Status
Not open for further replies.