Fixed my SUV. Success!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tw40x81

Nov 2, 2006
Northwest NJ
My big gas guzzler Expedition developed a shudder that got so bad she turned around and came home a few times. No check engine light. Generally I have left the maint and repairs on that vehicle to the dealer as I don't want to get too far out over my skis. So $400 later I get the truck back. They replaced the plugs (~$7.00 each) and boots (~$11.00 each) according the the bill. The plugs were due to be changed. It runs OK for a week then the problem returns.

So I call the dealer and make another appt. But I also do some googlin'. I find that folks replace the coils when there's a miss that doesn't set the check engine light. Ford coils are $107 each. ebay has them for $89 for a set of 8. So I bought the ebay set. The new coils also come with boots. So I start removing the coils and find new plugs, but the boots which should have been replaced are obviously original - and had they actually removed the boot from the coil they would have seen corrosion on the connector on some of the coils. 8 new coils and boots later she purrs like a kitten and I canceled the appt at the Dealer.

I'm not going back to that dealer again. Except to complain, or would I be wasting my time?

Great success!!!!! :)

did you add the dielectric grease to the confection points and secondly if you smear a little around on the plug end of the boot it will slip in better and seal out the moisture. Without adding the grease your problem will reappear and without adding a little on the outside bottom of the boot you may not have gotten them fully seated. Just a couple tricks from the school of hard knocks.

I would complain to both the dealer, and whatever consumer protection agency your state has. You were charged for parts and work not supplied. That is theft. And, the prices appear to be major ripoffs.
Missing cylinders should throw a code, even identifying the skipping cylinder(s). My Jeep has done that twice when a plug got carbon bridge on it once, and a bad wire once. I don't know why your Ex. didn't throw a code…?

Depending on the year Ford won't throw a code for missing even when it gets bad enough that ecu shuts down the injector to prevent loading the cat up. I can't speak for 2000 on, but 99 on back are this way. Computer needs a 40% fail to trip. One cylinder on a V8 is 12.5%. ( I have a 99 V10 even more fun) Computer knows it sent out the signal to the coil but there is no feed back that the plug itself fired. Even the latest and greatest portable scanner from Snap -On could not identify which bank let alone a particular cylinder on mine ( put about 30 miles on one night chasing up and down the Freeway trying) I went through 2 sets of plugs and boots, oem and after market as well as swapping 2 new coils around trying to find it. I ended up just replacing all the coils, boots and plugs at the same time... problem solved. Would you believe that none of the dealers in the Milw. Metro area had a complete set of coils in stock. ( some had none at all) Best I could do at the time was 7 OEM coils in my area (40 mile radius) Went with after market, Auto Zone $55 ea. Napa didn't but 3 in town same story at a couple other parts houses. 3 different Auto Zones to get ten. ( I did not want to mix and match). I also have a 4.6L V8 that did the same thing and again no codes. 4.6 is not COP unit though but does have a separate coil for each cylinder. Also a 99.

Thanks for posting! I don't have a Ford, but this will go in my mental file for future use.

heat seeker said:
I would complain to both the dealer, and whatever consumer protection agency your state has. You were charged for parts and work not supplied. That is theft. And, the prices appear to be major ripoffs.
Missing cylinders should throw a code, even identifying the skipping cylinder(s). My Jeep has done that twice when a plug got carbon bridge on it once, and a bad wire once. I don't know why your Ex. didn't throw a code…?

I'd go back with the 'new' parts in hand and raise a little hell. It is total BS they charged you parts and labor for something that never happened. Even better to ask a salesman, with a customer, where you can lodge complaint....

ChocoLab said:
heat seeker said:

I'd go back with the 'new' parts in hand and raise a little hell. It is total BS they charged you parts and labor for something that never happened. Even better to ask a salesman, with a customer, where you can lodge complaint....

X2, Get a refund for the parts and labor they charged you to replace the boots. It also a good Idea to have all replaced parts available from the dealer when you pick up the vehicle after a repair. It's not fool proof but can reduce confusion between the service writer and mechanic, and/or "billing errors".

Yep, the dealer owes you a refund of parts and labor for those boots. Should be north of $100 refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.