Fixed Pitched Roof Steps for Chimney Access

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fjord

Aug 17, 2010
N.H.
First try here, here goes:

Built a 2 story wood heated place with a 9/12 pitch asphalt shingle roof up north. The 2 flues are cleaned and checked about 4-5 times/year.
The digital TV antenna and internet sat dish get some work also especially in our frequent snow storms. Most northern European tile or slate roofs have fixed steps installed.
Google comes up empty searching for permanent roof steps or attached ladders sold in N. America.

Setting up an extension ladder with rope protection is a PITA, tough in the winter.

Ideas ? NO--nailed 2X4's are out. :roll:

Thanks.

Leave some roof jacks in and drop the treads in when you need them?

SolarAndWood said:
Leave some roof jacks in and drop the treads in when you need them?

This sounds reasonable to me. Taking the treads off will also keep them ice free.

Matt

Would a roof ladder work?

Personally I'm wondering about the satellite antennas . . . I've had mine on the roof for years with no issues and I suspect we get as many snowstorms as you do.

Thot about roof jacks...but not the correct solution I'm looking for, such as real roof steps or a manufactured roof ladder attached to the roof like in northern Europe.
I might use roofer's permanent anchors screwed below the ridge, then attach a permanet 3/4" thick line knotted every couple of feet for gripping.
Really want a permanent method to get up and down in most weather excepting ice and high winds.

We're in a northern part of NH in an open treeless area where the NW wind (Montreal Express) blows and eddies snow in a way that can "fill" the sat dish. Real problem with blowing snow.

Best I can suggest is to approach a metal fab./welding shop. See if they're willing to build a modified ships ladder. Use grip-strut or bar grate for the treads. Mabey Jr. channel for the stringers and attach it top, mid span, and bottom to the roof. Probably have to add some blocking. Good luck. Oh, add some sort of grab rail, you'll probably need it when icy.

I have a 9/12 pitch too and have been thinking about making steps out of alumimum and screwing down to the roof and tar well.

I don't really like the idea of putting extra holes in my roof but I like the thought of laying on my back in a snow bank for a couple hour even less.

This may not be exactly what you're looking for, but it's the only common thing I can think of that has a permanent ladder/steps on the roof; a grain bin. That may give you a starting point for something already made. Most grain bin roof ladders are going to be wide at the bottom and narrow at the top though. Would it possibly be an option to permanently mount a normal grain bin ladder (the vertical one that goes up the sides) on the roof? This will be slighly awkward to walk on but it will give you a good brace point preventing slippage.

Solved: roofer's "Roof Anchor" sold @ HD and Lowes. 2 SS D rings on a SS strap attached (SS screws) to the ridge and rafter.
Tie a thick climbing line ( arborist or rock climbing) on, knot the line every 2 ' or so, and done. Permanent---but change the line when
it shows some UV damage.

Thx.

media.jpg

Often times you can pick up extension ladders for a song at estate sales. With a ladder hook you're in business.

fjord said:
Thanks but the hooks and "chicken ladders" that hook over ridges are not permanent.
they are if u forget the ladder up on the roof. I did so 2 winters ago, got covered with snow, still could climb it carefully

Status
Not open for further replies.