fixing a broken hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aatk

May 13, 2007
We just bought a new house. It needs enough work that I'm not looking to do anything extra, and I have a problem with the wood burning fireplace. One of the marble tiles on the raised part of the hearth (the front face not the top) is broken. There are no spares, and very little chance of getting any that match.

I have two choices to fix it.

#1 is to take off all the marble and the surround to replace with something I can get. This is more work than I want to consider doing at this juncture.

#2 is to take off the tiles around the front of the hearth and replace them. If I use tile, it won't match and will look stupid, so it needs to be a different material.

My question is really to see if I can use wood to face it? I'm not sure of the local code (its in downstate ny) and wouldn't know who to ask.
Can anyone help me out here?
TIA

What is the depth of the hearth in inches? Can you post a picture?

Before giving up on finding a match it might be worth a trip to a local tile and stone yard and asking them. Get a picture or if possible remove an adjacent tile and bring it along. In come cities there are some very good marble suppliers that may be able to come close. Worth a try. Another possibility if you remove and replace the front tiles is to use a contrasting but complementary tile so that it looks good and intentional.

Take the tile to a stone shop. They can grind a little material off the back, and mix it with this epoxy they have. Then they epoxy the 2 parts back together, and it's barely noticeable... actually looks like a natural stone grain up close. I had a neighbor have this
happen, and unless you're looking for it (which means you personally will see it forever!), you'd never even notice the break. Seriously though, they worked wonders for this guy's fireplace stone.

-- Mike

What about removing a few more and make up a design or pattern that way you will not need to match the original

elkimmeg said:
What about removing a few more and make up a design or pattern that way you will not need to match the original

Inspired idea. I had not thought about the combination of tiles in a new pattern to make it MORE attractive. There are some very nice reproduction tiles handmade new tiles and even some salvagers that have old stock you could easily match them. Not to seem like a plug for a tool, but the Fein Multi-tool is an excellent tool for doing the grout cutting and removing. I have the older commercial unit, but I think the new one is a good investment value.

Years ago I removed mantle and surrounds for the material. Remember a few Roseville, and at least one Rookwood surround that were worth thousands.

I was going to say, you need to have the tile to separate the firebox from combustibles. I often get asked to redo antique mantles for installing around a new fireplace. Often I am asked to fill in with wood. I explain that I can redo the mantle, but the owner is responsible for meeting code requirements for distance to combustibles. Generally the firebox can't meet code, the chimney is bad and the mantle is too close to the fire. I have had some customers opt for ZC gas decorative fire boxes that are small enough to accommodate the clearance requirements. As I do not do the installations, I am not sure if they "try and get by", but I strongly encourage them to contact a proper contractor and get the permits and do it right. I have told some that to not follow the law may result in their insurance being canceled, or not paying if there is a fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.