Fixing a camper.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So did you get it all fixed up, or just getting to the issue?

Just took a good look at it. Its only 12-14 inchs of rot. It really shows no wear anywhere. Hoses stil in factory packages power cord looks brand new. Tent is very good, he said a spot needs stitch up but cant find it. Floor is even clean spotless. (I traded for this with out looking in it) lol but trusted the guy.

Edit: Tires still look like new.

Cool beans - sounds like an easy peasy fix and you got "deer camp".

Yea pretty exciting going from a tent to this for mid Nov. Hell heat fridge and electic with bran new pots and pans and the fricken lp tank feels full. I think the whole group exicided! :)

Look the tires over carefully for dry rot. I'm replacing mine, which have loads of tread left and look good at first glance. However, there are many deep, fine, cracks in the sidewalls from age. At $60/tire, I'm replacing them.

Reactions: smokinj
Look the tires over carefully for dry rot. I

'm replacing mine, which have loads of tread left and look good at first glance. However, there are many deep, fine, cracks in the sidewalls from age. At $60/tire, I'm replacing them.

Yea I did cant find any cracks nothing. He brought it to me from an hour away as well. Only issues I could find other than the back board. One hinge broke on a cabinet door and 3 places where the screen has small holes.

Jay,

I have that same camper and had to replace that board too. I can't remember exactly what was involved, but it was a pretty easy job. I think the aluminum skin is glued to plywood and separated pretty easy. There may also be a sytrofoam layer in there as well. I think the rot was caused because the spare tire holder allowed water to leak in. We relocated the spare tire to the rear bumper and plugged the holes so it didn't do it again.

Jay,

I have that same camper and had to replace that board too. I can't remember exactly what was involved, but it was a pretty easy job. I think the aluminum skin is glued to plywood and separated pretty easy. There may also be a sytrofoam layer in there as well. I think the rot was caused because the spare tire holder allowed water to leak in. We relocated the spare tire to the rear bumper and plugged the holes so it didn't do it again.

That makes since.....I had it set-up all weekend trying to pick it apart but the fricken pots and pans are even new. lol It does seem that the leak is lower and the damage was wick upward. Floors and where the side meets is solid.

A solid floor is a definite plus!!! Let me know if you need an extra set of hands. Where are you planning on going this year???

That makes since.....I had it set-up all weekend trying to pick it apart but the fricken pots and pans are even new. lol It does seem that the leak is lower and the damage was wick upward. Floors and where the side meets is solid.

Check and make sure that spare tire holder on the back looks sealed around the mounting bolts. You'll need to take them off when you replace the board...use silicon around the bolts and all around the bracket when you put it back on.

A solid floor is a definite plus!!! Let me know if you need an extra set of hands. Where are you planning on going this year???

Opening weekend Mississwa easy to get 4 hunters in there. I use to live close to it so lots of scouting already done. Will be getting started Sunday I have a 5 day weekend. Going to Muncie to work on a 47 inch Oak if its not raining hard.

Opening weekend Mississwa easy to get 4 hunters in there. I use to live close to it so lots of scouting already done. Will be getting started Sunday I have a 5 day weekend. Going to Muncie to work on a 47 inch Oak if its not raining hard.

I know someone who hunts up there. He like's it. I have never hunted there. I hope you have LOTS of blaze clothing! The state lands (the one's I've hunted at least) tend to draw the gun emptying idiots on opening weekend!!! If the bushes shake, they pop off 5 rounds (or more) !!!

I know someone who hunts up there. He like's it. I have never hunted there. I hope you have LOTS of blaze clothing! The state lands (the one's I've hunted at least) tend to draw the gun emptying idiots on opening weekend!!! If the bushes shake, they pop off 5 rounds (or more) !!!

lol, Lots of truth to that statement, but thats on the south side of the lake by red bridge. Everyone seems to hunt on that ridge there is another 15000 acres there.....Place I hit are not even on a map and takes alot of time if you have never been there. Lots of good funnels out there. Now if you can over lay google earth with the hunting location and figure out the dirt paths your golden!

everytime I think I'm gonna evolve from tenting to "campering" I go to the various RV shows and play around in the pop-ups and travel trailers commenting on the ups and the downs and eventually just decide to save up until I can get a Pinzgauer, or Unimog...would prefer a Unimog, but beggers can't be choosers. For comedic effect it would be nice to tow a pop-up behind a Unimog...if you see that out on the roads, its prolly me.

For comedic effect it would be nice to tow a pop-up behind a Unimog...

For people who like to camp where no one has camped before.....

Reactions: Delta-T
For people who like to camp where no one has camped before.....
bout 2 years ago, at a State Park campground, I met a gent from Iceland who was touring North America in his unimog with his dog. What a fantastic vehicle. I bet it had a sauna in it. He was shocked that I knew what it was even though the Mercedes emblem on the front grill was covered with a spare tire.

Reactions: Jags
Status
Not open for further replies.