Flaky stuff on burner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

revdocjim

Burning Hunk
Sep 7, 2015
Japan
We have a heat ' glo gas fireplace at my in-laws' where we are staying for several months and I opened it up today to rearrange some of the faux wood as it appeared to have shifted. In the process I wasn't thinking very clearly and when I saw all that flaky stuff right on the burners I assumed it was some sort of dust or residue that had accumulated and I thoughtlessly brushed it all to the back. Immediately I realized that it was the stuff that glows red hot like ashes, making the fire look more real. So, what should I do now? When I brushed it away it sort of crumbled. Can I buy more of that stuff? Is it important?

That glowing ember material is called Rockwool, & there should have been extra in the manual bag when the unit was installed.
You only need dime to penny-sized pieces, so the small bag supplied with the unit probably contained enough for 3 - 4 total replacements. Your local Heat & Glo dealer should have some available. If not, go to a local hearth shop that sells gas log sets. They should carry bags of that stuff. If you are in no hurry, go here:

http://www.amazon.com/Flame-Fix-EM-..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=0DA9QNXZ0ZXNT1VA8CMT

And, NO, using it isn't important to the function of the unit. It is used to enhance the aesthetic of the flame presentation.

BUT, if you have the owners manual. read it. Placement of the embers is kinda critical to how the burner performs. You want to place the material so that the burner ports are not blocked. Just the edges need to be engulfed in the flames to give the "glowing ember" effect.

Thanks! The fireplace was installed when the house was built 15 years ago and I have no idea where the manual bag is so I'll be looking into it at local dealers or go the amazon route. And I think I should review the ember placement. I'll try to find something online.

I searched thru those manuals but for the model we have they all say to look at the instructions for the log kit regarding placement... Anyway, I watched some youtube videos and did the best I could.

Status
Not open for further replies.