Flame Color Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OpenWater

Aug 30, 2009
Catskills
Hey Folks,

First post on this forum. Excellent source of info, so thanks to all. I've read a blue flame, as opposed to a yellow flame, indicates increased efficiency. Any truth to this, is there really a difference?

Many thanks,

Chris

Welcome to the forum.

Thermally I don't think you'll notice any difference. You'd have to typically burn a really really sooty fire to notice a difference in thermal efficiency (like clean the glass every day sooty), but in combustion efficiency there is a little difference. Meaning that you have higher CO2 emissions and lower CO, but would it translate into a lower gas bill - no, not on a gas fireplace.

My. $0.02.

A blue flame may burn your gas (LP or NG) slightly more efficiently, but I don't believe it's
an appreciable amount & I've never seen any test results.
Blue flames burn cleaner, but because most wood burning fires are yellow in color,
the "dirty" yellow gas flames look more realistic.
The color is changed by an ait-to-fuel mixture at the air shutter...
Less air = Yellower flame. ACCEPTABLE..
Too little air = Orange flame with black tips...UNACCEPTABLE (MAJOR SOOTING)
Too MUCH air = Blue flame...Not aesthetically pleasing...

Just what I was looking for. Many thanks, gentlmen!

Status
Not open for further replies.