Flame fp45 , Napoleon nps40, Any Good?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

t1adler

Hearth Supporter
Oct 31, 2010
Northern Maine
A local dealer has the Flame FP45 available for $1,550 and the Napoleon NPs40 for $1,595. They both seem to be about $1,000 off the retail price. Any feedback about the good the bad or the ugly on these would be appreciated. Thanks

P.S. how important is the emissions rating (gram/hr) in the decision process of deciding the better of two stoves?

The Flame FP45 is very similar to the Osborn stoves. It also uses the combex technology. The Flame is pretty new to the market though.

Edit: Just looked at the Drolet and its pretty much the same as the Flame. I can't find much on the Flame or Drolet stove lines besides there web sites. I was going to try to link a review for you. Just not much out there.

The Napoleons have a couple of members here that own them. I haven't heard any complaints from them. If you can swing the extra the NPS45 has a lot more features that make having a pellet stove more fun! But the NPS40 seems to be a work horse.

I've got a Napoleon NPS40 into my third heating season with a warm house good no stove problems at all. It cost $1595 shipped/delivered. I installed it.

I have had my NPS40 for about a week. I do have a few observations. Overall, it seems to work well. The heat is plentiful but not as hot as I expected (could be the pellets I am using). The stove seems to be fairly well made. The stove I bought used (found it on this site for $250 with 30 bags of pellets!), and had to replace the igniter and a few other parts($400), it is only 3 years old. I hope it is not a sign of things to come... I have two different kinds of pellets, and there is a big difference from one to the other. I am very curious to get my hands on some of the "good stuff". My wife just commented that she prefers the heat from the wood stove in another part of the house, I have to admit that I do too. The pellet stove does not radiate heat into the room like a wood stove does. The fan and the induction motor are a constant. If the room is not large, this can make sitting by the "fire" a bit less enjoyable... The day after I got it all installed, we got our first good cold day, and of course the power went out for about 8 hours. Obviously, no power, no heat.

I am one of those who own and like the NPS40. This is my third season with this unit. Before making up your mind, you might want to put the name of the stove in the search line in this forum. From 2 years ago, you will find a couple of owners who made some very load objections to this stove. Most of the heat given to these stove came from noisy and faulty blowers and very poor support from the stove manufacturer. There were others who complained about more heat coming from one side of the stove, than the other. Duh!
Read the comments and note who posted what, and note what their other posting were. Each stove and stove owner has their own personality.
Then note the review from Consumer Reports. That unit came in as #2 with the Harmon coming in as #1, but at twice the cost. That caused an uproar from owners who's stove didn't place well, and with cryptic comments about there being little value to any report issued by that magazine.
My observation is that this is a good dependable stove that performs well when installed properly in well insulated homes. I think the same is true with most other stoves. But this one, for the cost you quoted, is a good value. If I could offer any advice, I would tell you to make sure you get it from a dealer who is known to give good customer support. That should ease your mind about any risk you may encounter. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.