Flame height, heat output, soot etc.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cdnxj

Jan 3, 2010
Ontario Canada
Just installed a VC Radiance on LP. Bought it used so I have little in the way of dealer support. Wondering how much the flame height control knob contributes to heat output. I don't notice much difference between "low" and "high" When the flame is on high its nice and big, blue at the base, deep yellow in the middle with wispy reddish orange at the top of the firebox. Does this indicate I am not getting enough air? Will my glass soot up over time? I have read on here about adjusting the air shutter but not sure where to start. If anyone can chime in that would be great!

Checked my air shutters, there are 2 - one for front and rear burners. Both were wide open. I may have the logs incorrectly placed. I also put in some of the small lava rocks this morning and that really made some black soot on the glass. Put everything back together and will see how it goes.

Thanks Dave,

So where do I want to run this for max efficiency and heat output? Higher flame or lower flame???

Status
Not open for further replies.