Flame leaning back towards fire brick liner/hopper chute

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy12003

Dec 2, 2013
South of boston
Hi there. I have a vistaflame insert. I have noticed that sometimes with certain pellets the flame always leans back towards the fire brick liner and hopper chute. Because of this the line is partially cracked. It is covered under warranty so it's not that big of a deal. I have tried to adjust the damper to control the flame. It helps for a bit but then the flame always eventually bends back. It is mostly with barefoot pelets this happens. Anyone have any input?

yup , try burning crappier pellets :) mine does the same thing especially when starting ,but settles straight after a few minutes . when you say you've tried adjusting the damper are you using a magnahelic gauge ?

you're only guessing if you're not . my firebrick grid is showing signs of warping in that area after 2 years .

Just worked on an EF 4i that burned through the metal brick and the metal liner under the chute. I replaced the burn pot liner and it cured the problem.

yup , try burning crappier pellets :) mine does the same thing especially when starting ,but settles straight after a few minutes . when you say you've tried adjusting the damper are you using a magnahelic gauge ?

you're only guessing if you're not . my firebrick grid is showing signs of warping in that area after 2 years .
No. Just the damper on the side. How do you like your vistaflame?

I replaced it with the high ash version.

Status
Not open for further replies.