Flame presentation not good on new gas fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kavdenver

Oct 26, 2014
denver
Thanks for the recommendations - I ended up purchasing the Heat N Glo Escape I-35 and it was installed yesterday. It is a gorgeous unit - love the large viewing area and the look of the logs! However, the flames do not present the same way as they do on the unit in the showroom or on the HnG website. I realize that all units are not identical and that there can be some variance, but this doesn't seem right to me.

I have one really, super skinny flame in the middle that actually goes quite high and then not much anywhere else. The side flames are almost non-existent.

One more question. This unit is supposed to have illuminated ember beds AND accent lighting. The ember beds are gorgeous but I don't see any other accent lighting. My unit is pretty dark inside.

One of the selling points and the reason I splurged on this unit was because of the realistic look of fire and the other amenities.

I am wondering if this could have something to do with installation - placement of the logs? Also, the pilot light is on all the time. Is that how it is supposed to be? I was under the impression that the IntelliFire™ Plus Ignition System (IPI Plus ) was some kind of special technology that ignited the pilot as you turned on the fireplace, which could save money in energy costs. Is this something that I need to program?

Thanks in advance for any input and information that you may have on this unit.

Read your owner's manual & it will inform you of the features in your insert. If you have the Escape I-35 model, it has a glowing ember bed. It should be actuated by one
of the auxilliary functions on your remote. You should have a separate manual for that remote unit.
The flame presentation can be dependent upon a couple of things. Gas pressure is the most critical. Air shutter can also affect the look, as can ember placement on the burners.
As far as the pilot, there is a snowflake indicator on your remote. That will toggle between Intermittent Pilot & Constant Pilot.

Status
Not open for further replies.