Flame Retardant Insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reed102

Sep 19, 2006
Greenville, Oh
Looks like blocking off the damper around the liner with flame retardant insulation is about the only way I will be able to seal things. A metal plate will be a nightmare and well beyond my skill level. What are some of the brands of flame retardant insulation I should try to find? Thanks

Take the measurements to a sheet metal shop and they will make the thing for less than non-combusible insulation will cost you. Besides, it appears the stuff ain't real easy to find and won't do the job real well.

Use the measurement method in Craigs post in the Wiki for making a block-off plate.

The big problem is that the sides and back wall are not flat. It corrugated like the side of a grain bin. It is a heat-a-lator clone, a large metal box. I thought getting the metal cut to match the sides and back wall would be much more expensive than stuffing the insulation. I'll check further on having the metal made. Thanks

Hint the block off plate does not have to be one piece ypu could use a colple of pieces and use a draft stop sealant
in a caulking tube key here is ASTM 136 requirement don't worry its sold at home crapo
ASTM 136 requirement meant it will withstand temps up to 1200 degrees the BOSS brand has been tested to
3000 degrees. the Dap version tested to 2000 degrees You can use RTV around the premeter but not to seal the pipe and plate space. I found that out when we actually had a fire causd by Rtv igniting ignition point the RTV incontact with the liner

I reread the directions in Craig's post and looked farther up into the actual damper and the sides are flat and shouldn't be much of a problem to have metal cut and bent to fit. And, you are correct fire-retardant insulation is about impossible to find. Thanks

Made a cardboard template of the blockoff plate and will be taking it to a metal shop. What thickness, gauge and/or type of steel should I tell them to make it out of? Thanks

I don't see any reason why anything from 24 gauge galvanized on up to thicker steels wouldn't get the job done. All it has to do is not let air through and be non-combustible. It won't be exposed to flames or flue gases.

Status
Not open for further replies.