FLAME Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavesa

Feb 28, 2009
Nova Scotia
Hi,

I posted a while ago. I live in Nova Scotia, came from England, looking for advice on where to locate a stove in the house we're buying.

I'm also looking for a stove and found this ad on the local Kijiji website

"
I have a Flame wood stove for sale, this stove is rated to heat 2000 sq. ft. I had to take it out of my house because it threw way too much heat. It is a great stove that is very well built and has no trouble keeping a fire all night at least 8 hours no problem. It also comes with a factory fit fan. This stove is also certified for insurance purposes. I am asking $500.00.

"

Looking up Flame near Wood Stove in Google gave me 85,300 hits and after looking through them all ;-) I was non the wiser. Does anyone know anything about Flame woodstoves? Maybe who they are produced by? I looked in the various user feedback websites but couldn't locate them.

Thanks for any help

Andrew

Hi Firestarter.

Thanks very much for the info. I must admit I didn't actually look up the Google search. I thought flame with wood stove would be a fairly common combination!

The ad doesn't have any fins on the top to get the heat out efficiently, although maybe that isn't needed if there is the fan?

Has anyone had any experience with one of these? It does look like it might be a Flame XTD 1.9 EPA Wood Stove

Thanks

Andrew

Hi

I just called the person selling it who told me it is the Flame Executive model. It is 3 years old and has a tray for ash and he told me the closest current model is the NXT-I

Andrew

I looked at the tech specs on the NXT-I and it claims heat outputs

Max output - EPA Test Wood: 29,400 BTU

Max output seasoned cord wood: 85,000 BTU

I'd previously concluded that the best option for a 2,300 sq ft house was a Pacific Energy Summit

corresponding stats are

Max output - EPA Test Wood: 37,501 BTU

Max output seasoned cord wood: 97,000 BTU

I'm not sure which gives a measure of real heating ability, as usual I would guess the lower number, which makes the Summit a lot better. Am I right in this conclusion (I'm still learning!)?

Thanks

Andrew

From the specs for the NXT1 it looks like the stove would be around 1.2 cu ft shy of the Summit's size. Given the house size and climate zone, I'd stick with looking for a 3 cu ft stove.

BeGreen said:
From the specs for the NXT1 it looks like the stove would be around 1.2 cu ft shy of the Summit's size. Given the house size and climate zone, I'd stick with looking for a 3 cu ft stove.

It is a 2.9 cf firebox BG. It, the Summit and the 30-NC are pretty much the same size. All three ring in around 440 pounds and the Summit advertises 97,000 BTU, the 30 75,000 BTU and the NXT-1 85,000. I think it depends on the phase of the moon. :mad:

BrotherBart said:
BeGreen said:

It is a 2.9 cf firebox BG. It, the Summit and the 30-NC are pretty much the same size. All three ring in around 440 pounds and the Summit advertises 97,000 BTU, the 30 75,000 BTU and the NXT-1 85,000. I think it depends on the phase of the moon. :mad:

What is THIS? Duel Of The Titans????

:cheese:

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
BrotherBart said:
BeGreen said:

What is THIS? Duel Of The Titans????

:cheese:

Steel stoves at 50 paces. :lol:

Hey guys, we lived in Spain for 6 years and ENJOYED THE TEMPERATURES, so being too warm is the least of my worries! Every morning in winter I have a "frank exchange of views" with my sons over whether to open the drapes or not because it makes the house cold. Heat's tops in our household, believe me... Could you tell me which number means something:

85,000 vs 97,000 BTU (14% difference)

or

29,400 vs 37,501 BTU (28% difference)

Andrew

He wants $500 for this at 3 years old which seems pretty reasonably priced compared to a PE Summit at $950 which was advertised a few weeks ago (sadly gone).

The in-house high testing numbers are pretty much useless. To attain those outputs you have to stand there and just keep shoving wood in the stove. And the purpose of the exercise is to get a high number for the marketing department.

That stove and the Summit are two comparably sized big steel boxes that you light fires in. They are going to throw approximately the same heat. The variables are how you load it, how you control the air and what type, size, and quantity of wood you put in it.

The Summit is advertised at 97,000 BTU and my 30-NC is advertised at 75,000 but I guarantee you that the 30 will make ya sweat every bit as much as a Summit.

BrotherBart said:
BeGreen said:

I took the published firebox dimensions for the NXT-1 - 17"W x 19¼"D and assumed a rough height in the firebox of 10" assuming 9" firebrick. That equaled ~1.9 cu ft. which seemed to correlate with the output specs. Apparently, my bad. When I went back and looked at the exterior dimensions, I found it to be as large as the NC30.

I have the Flame pellet stove and its a solid little unit. I wouldnt hesitate to get a Flame woodstove, they're plain looking but very functional.

A lot will depend on your house of course - I run a Jotul Kennebec insert, stated BTU of 55000/hr, and I heat a 1200sqft 2 storey home with it. House is 75 years old (bad) with new windows and air sealing/insulation (good), and I think the 2 storey is easier to heat than the equivelant space on one level.

Also, where in NS you are will make a difference in climate - temps and heat needs in Yarmouth are quite lower than Truro, given all the geo/weather differences.

In the end, I would take it if you like the price - lots of thier stoves in use. Spend the extra effort on finding a true source of dry wood - hard to do in NS in my experience, and my father in law owns a wood lot! Seems folks aren't used to just how dry wood needs to be to make an EPA stove perform well. If you have true dry wood (20% moisture) then small fires will be easier, and big fires, well, they'll be even better.

My plan is to get the wood in my yard by end of April - then I'll be able to do what I can to get it/keep it dry.

Hi All,

thanks very much for all the leads and information. I'll get down there at the weekend and see what can be done.

I do get very nice wood here, seems nicely dry although gets rather damp at this time of year with the thaw coming in!

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.