Flat black Duravent Pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TapeMeasure

Feb 17, 2015
USA
I just received a Duravent 46DVA-E90B elbow I bought from a seller on ebay. It appears new and came in a genuine looking box but instead of the normal gloss black Duravent paint it has what looks like flat black spray paint on it and no sticker and barcode on the pipe itself.

Did Duravent previously use lower quality flat black paint? Could it just be old stock? I'm wondering if they are trying to pull a fast one and if its worth fighting them if they try to charge me fees for returning it.

When I was an installer, the Dura-Vent paint was more of a Matte Black or Satin Black.
I NEVER saw it Gloss Black unless it was painted at install to match the stove.

I realized another piece of pipe is also a slightly different finish, in between the very matte and what I would call glossy. The Duravent finish quality must have changed over time. It's noticeable but I decided to just live with it and maybe touch it up in the future. That's what I get for gathering the pipe piecemeal from all over the place. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
duravent_finish.jpg

yes, duravent has gone thru some changes in painted finishes over the years.
most is a satin finish like the one on the right

very frustrating to have to paint new pipe out of the box to match the other stuff, welcome to my world...

Status
Not open for further replies.