Flat Panel Radiator actuator vs Zone Valve

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HeatFarmer

Sep 22, 2011
Montville, Maine
I'm trying to figure out the most reasonable & cost effective way to feed my rad. manifolds from the boiler/storage tank loop....Alternative Hydronic recommends a mixing valve & actuator and a constantly running circ pump..but the system they show in their design will cost over $850 just for mixing parts. Is this necessary to achieve best performance? Or is their a similar, but less costly alternative?

Attachments

• radiatorplan1.jpg
    radiatorplan1.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 491
Sounds pretty cheap to me.

The system I have that heats my house has about $10k of parts into it between the zone valves, 3 pumps, manifolds, pex, boiler controls/boiler. $850 would buy about 2 of the 4x Rahau manifolds.

I don't think it is nessasary to mix the water temp. this is my first season running mine and i use trv's . So far very very very little noise from exp. and contraction. The house Is very comfy weather I'm using 190 degree water or 130 degree. I don't like the mixing in storage from the circulator running all the time, but other than that I love them.

Status
Not open for further replies.