1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

flat plate heat loss

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by Ulybagger, Dec 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulybagger

Ulybagger New Member

Loc:
    Scotland,CT
    what would be normal heat loss with a flat plate heat exchanger? I have a central boiler 6048. I have a about a 1-2 degree heat loss from the boiler to the heat exchanger. The heat loss between the flat plate and the boiler is about 24 degrees. Is this normal? Seems like a lot to me. The distance from the heat exchanger to the boiler is about 3 feet. All the pipes are wrapped with foam insulation. What do some of you have for heat loss in degrees?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. WoodNotOil

WoodNotOil Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern, Vermont
    If you are transfering heat through the hx, then the 24* drop is really your delat T. If so, that is pretty good transfer going on. If you are not supposed to be transfering heat, then you are radiating a lot of heat from the plate hx!
  3. Ulybagger

Ulybagger New Member

Loc:
    Scotland,CT
    Yes. I'm transferring heat to keep my oil boiler up to temp. Is there a way to reduce radiating heat from the hx? That is about the only part that isn't wrapped in insulation.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.